Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebells

Ian B wrote:

/prune/

I also found out on this ng that something I thought might be a weed was
aquilegia, and now I wish I hadn't pulled as many of them up as I did.

Never mind, you only need one plant, and they seed muh more efficiently
than bluebells.

I'd also be happy to give anybody as much creeping buttercup as they'd like.

Ooooh yes please! Just dump them on my compost heap...

--
Rusty
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Buttered strawberries?
(hmm, sounding a bit like my new colour scheme for the living room!)

Run awaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!

--
Rusty
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Ian B wrote:

/prune/

I also found out on this ng that something I thought might be a weed
was aquilegia, and now I wish I hadn't pulled as many of them up as
I did.

Never mind, you only need one plant, and they seed muh more
efficiently than bluebells.

I'd also be happy to give anybody as much creeping buttercup as
they'd like.

Ooooh yes please! Just dump them on my compost heap...

Haha, sorry, they all go on mine

Ian

Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Buttered strawberries?
(hmm, sounding a bit like my new colour scheme for the living room!)

Run awaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!

It's very nice, really! (It's not quite buttered strawberries, it's
primrose and raspberry, but that doesn't sound quite so tasty :-)
Old 15-05-2010, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:22:19 +0100, "Jo" wrote:

We moved into a new house not so long ago and are just discovering what's
going to pop up in our new weed-filled, slightly overgrown garden. We
have
bluebells - hundreds of them and they are taking over the whole garden,
appearing in every possible corner and working themselves across the
grass!
As much as they look very pretty I don't want them all over the garden.
I have searched for other posts about these invasive plants, but can't
seem
to find any original threads.

Is there a way of keeping them at bay? We have a huge amount of work
(clearing) to do in this garden and I fear that all the digging up will
just
spread them further.

Jo

Lily of the Valley is the same :-((

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-ADFIY4Z...-of-Other.html

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 15-05-2010, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

I have added a further picture to show how Lilly of the Valley, 'cleared' of
a bed, has crept under a paving slab and coming up in a gravel path.

'Hoe hoe hoe'

Old 15-05-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 May 2010 16:02:06 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

Wish mine would spread like that.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-05-2010, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

Do you? ;-))

""This tough perennial can spread quickly, so planting it in beds with other
flowers is not a good idea. It will overtake the other plants and become a
problem. Lilly-of-the-Valley will need a place that is enclosed with edging
or other barriers to contain its spread.""

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._a.html?cat=32

Old 15-05-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 May 2010 18:25:40 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

""This tough perennial can spread quickly, so planting it in beds with other
flowers is not a good idea. It will overtake the other plants and become a
problem. Lilly-of-the-Valley will need a place that is enclosed with edging
or other barriers to contain its spread.""

I have had a few in for years and only get a few spikes, and they
never spread. Want to send me some?

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-05-2010, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

""This tough perennial can spread quickly, so planting it in beds with
other
flowers is not a good idea. It will overtake the other plants and become a
problem. Lilly-of-the-Valley will need a place that is enclosed with
edging
or other barriers to contain its spread.""

I have had a few in for years and only get a few spikes, and they
never spread. Want to send me some?

Pam in Bristol

Pam I would be delighted. Another urgler has emailed their address and
requested some, but raises a very good question which other urglers might be
able to answer. Are there two types of Lilly of the Valley just as there are
two types of Bluebells? Is one evasive, the other not? If so how do I tell
the difference before I send any plants/roots/runners out?

Old 16-05-2010, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .

""This tough perennial can spread quickly, so planting it in beds with
other
flowers is not a good idea. It will overtake the other plants and become a
problem. Lilly-of-the-Valley will need a place that is enclosed with
edging
or other barriers to contain its spread.""

I have had a few in for years and only get a few spikes, and they
never spread. Want to send me some?

Pam I would be delighted. Another urgler has emailed their address and
requested some, but raises a very good question which other urglers might be
able to answer. Are there two types of Lilly of the Valley just as there are
two types of Bluebells? Is one evasive, the other not? If so how do I tell
the difference before I send any plants/roots/runners out?

Not as far as I know. Almost certainly the difference is due to the
soil. Mine spread like weeds in sandy loam.

There are special varieties - e.g. a pink form, or so I have heard.

I don't know if they will establish now - any time from autumn to
early spring is more usual.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily of the valley

On Sun, 16 May 2010 08:08:41 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I have had a few in for years and only get a few spikes, and they
never spread. Want to send me some?

Pam in Bristol

Pam I would be delighted. Another urgler has emailed their address and
requested some, but raises a very good question which other urglers might be
able to answer. Are there two types of Lilly of the Valley just as there are
two types of Bluebells? Is one evasive, the other not? If so how do I tell
the difference before I send any plants/roots/runners out?

Thanks Mike
Can you email me a valid email address so I can send my postal
address. leave off the "nos" from the address given.
I don't think there's more than one. Perhaps I need to improve my
soil, but I love them and would be delighted to have enough to make a
picking.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-05-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hi Pam

http://www.rneba.org.uk/html/contact_us.html will help you

I am also doing a massive press release in local newspapers around the
country, 1855 of them, so keep your eyes peeled ;-) remember him? (He is
here on the Isle of Wight and a member of another organisation I am involved
in) maybe you are too young ;-)

Old 17-05-2010, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,

Pam I would be delighted. Another urgler has emailed their address and
requested some, but raises a very good question which other urglers might
be
able to answer. Are there two types of Lilly of the Valley just as there
are
two types of Bluebells? Is one evasive, the other not? If so how do I tell
the difference before I send any plants/roots/runners out?

Not as far as I know. Almost certainly the difference is due to the
soil. Mine spread like weeds in sandy loam.

There are special varieties - e.g. a pink form, or so I have heard.

I don't know if they will establish now - any time from autumn to
early spring is more usual.

Mine spread pretty quickly in Wealden clay. Still there aren't too many
things that spread under rhododendrons.

If anyone wants Lily of the Valley, but are worried about it spreading too
quickly, they could always go for the variegated form - Convallaria majalis
'Vic Pawlowski's Gold". This is a fabulous little plant with perhaps one of
the best forms of variegation you are likely to see in any plant. Just be
warned that the "Gold" in the name often applies to the cost, too!

--

Jeff

Old 18-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge[_2_] View Post
Jo wrote:[color=blue]

Native bluebells are slightly smaller, have thinner stems, and the
flowers all hang predominately from one side of the stem.

--
Rusty
And native ones have creamy-white anthers whereas Spanish ones have blue ones.

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Spanish bluebells Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM