Old 18-05-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebells

On Tue, 18 May 2010 06:44:52 -0400, Cheshire gdner
wrote:
[color=blue]

'Rusty Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;887077']Jo wrote:

Native bluebells are slightly smaller, have thinner stems, and the
flowers all hang predominately from one side of the stem.

--
Rusty

And native ones have creamy-white anthers whereas Spanish ones have blue
ones.

Are the anthers just the bits on the end?
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 18-05-2010, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Rusty Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;887077']Jo wrote:

Native bluebells are slightly smaller, have thinner stems, and the
flowers all hang predominately from one side of the stem.

--
Rusty

And native ones have creamy-white anthers whereas Spanish ones have blue
ones.

Found a stand of British ones beside the loke which runs down past my house.

Some vandal's mown some of them.

--
Rusty
Old 18-05-2010, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:

Are the anthers just the bits on the end?

The anthers are the pollen-bearing wossnames surrounding the stigma
inside the flower.

--
Rusty
Old 18-05-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:[color=blue]
Cheshire gdner wrote:
'Rusty Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;887077']Jo wrote:

Native bluebells are slightly smaller, have thinner stems, and the
flowers all hang predominately from one side of the stem.

--
Rusty

And native ones have creamy-white anthers whereas Spanish ones have
blue ones.

Found a stand of British ones beside the loke which runs down past my
house.
Some vandal's mown some of them.

He should himself be mown. But I've been half tempted to a different
kind of vandalism myself: the Gelli Aur country park outside Carmarthen
has a remarkable form of what I was sure were the natives, having white
flowers with on each petal a narrow streak of pink. Pure white ones
aren't very unusual, and pink ones are (I believe) not unheard-of; but
I've never seen this form anywhere else. Fortunately public spirit and
natural timidity combined to prevent my sneaking along in the dead of
night with a spade.

--
Mike.

Old 18-05-2010, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 18 May 2010 20:20:30 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
[color=blue]
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Cheshire gdner wrote:
'Rusty Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;887077']Jo wrote:

[...]

I have blue, pink and white bluebells, but only the Spanish type,
sadly.
At least mowing bluebells does not destroy the bulbs, though it will
weaken them,

Pam in Bristol

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Spanish bluebells Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM