Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default advice please

I need a grass trimmer, my husband has two but they are both too heavy for
me to handle and I cannot keep waiting for him to find the time to do what I
need doing. My attention has been drawn to the Ryobi line trimmer selling at
£99.99, does anyone have one or can offer me words of wisdom. I hate saying
this but I have been an OAP for quite some time so cannot handle anything
too heavy :-)

kate

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need a grass trimmer, my husband has two but they are both too heavy for
me to handle and I cannot keep waiting for him to find the time to do what
I need doing. My attention has been drawn to the Ryobi line trimmer selling
at £99.99, does anyone have one or can offer me words of wisdom. I hate
saying this but I have been an OAP for quite some time so cannot handle
anything too heavy :-)

I hate to say this but if your husband already has two grass trimmers you do
not need to buy a lighter one for yourself.
Here's my idea.
Stop cooking, stop cleaning, stop washing and ironing his clothes and make
him do it all plus using his grass trimmers.
There's my words of wisdom ;-)
Tina

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need a grass trimmer, my husband has two but they are both too
heavy for me to handle and I cannot keep waiting for him to find the
time to do what I need doing. My attention has been drawn to the
Ryobi line trimmer selling at £99.99, does anyone have one or can
offer me words of wisdom. I hate saying this but I have been an OAP
for quite some time so cannot handle anything too heavy :-)

I hate to say this but if your husband already has two grass trimmers
you do not need to buy a lighter one for yourself.
Here's my idea.
Stop cooking, stop cleaning, stop washing and ironing his clothes and
make him do it all plus using his grass trimmers.
There's my words of wisdom ;-)

For all you know, he does all those things already and that's why he's too
exhausted to do the gardening.

;-D

Regarding the OP's question, I would have thought that the only way to find
out would be to go to a shop and try picking various ones up, as ergonomics
isn't just about weight. The distribution of weight in the machine and the
balance will be important too if you aren't too strong. It'll have to be
something you try out.

I remember some years ago buying my mother a handy vacuum cleaner as a
present, which was fine, but I'd overlooked something; to use tools with it
you had to manually unhook a drive belt, which was easy for me but beyond
the strength of her wrists. I don't think that when choosing something like
this you can go by specifications and order online etc, it's something you
really need to try out for yourself.

Ian

Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need a grass trimmer, my husband has two but they are both too heavy for
me to handle and I cannot keep waiting for him to find the time to do what
I need doing. My attention has been drawn to the Ryobi line trimmer
selling at £99.99, does anyone have one or can offer me words of wisdom. I
hate saying this but I have been an OAP for quite some time so cannot
handle anything too heavy :-)

I hate to say this but if your husband already has two grass trimmers you
do not need to buy a lighter one for yourself.
Here's my idea.
Stop cooking, stop cleaning, stop washing and ironing his clothes and make
him do it all plus using his grass trimmers.
There's my words of wisdom ;-)
Tina

LOL been there and done that Tina :-) Husband John is actually very good and
does all the big grassy bits but I wanted something smaller and light to get
into all the planted up bits and he does make very good cakes and apple pies
:-)
kate

Old 12-05-2010, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

;-D Regarding the OP's question, I would have thought that the only way
to find out would be to go to a shop and try picking various ones up, as
ergonomics isn't just about weight. The distribution of weight in the
machine and the balance will be important too if you aren't too strong.
It'll have to be something you try out.

I remember some years ago buying my mother a handy vacuum cleaner as a
present, which was fine, but I'd overlooked something; to use tools with
it you had to manually unhook a drive belt, which was easy for me but
beyond the strength of her wrists. I don't think that when choosing
something like this you can go by specifications and order online etc,
it's something you really need to try out for yourself.

Ian

Yes you are quite right Ian I must go and try a few, I was just trying to
save myself a journey but it will be worth it to find something that I like

kate

Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
I need a grass trimmer, my husband has two but they are both too heavy
for me to handle and I cannot keep waiting for him to find the time to
do what I need doing. My attention has been drawn to the Ryobi line
trimmer selling at £99.99, does anyone have one or can offer me words of
wisdom. I hate saying this but I have been an OAP for quite some time so
cannot handle anything too heavy :-)

I got a cheap light one from Argos - about £16 IIRC.

--
Rusty
Old 13-05-2010, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
I need a grass trimmer, my husband has two but they are both too heavy
for me to handle and I cannot keep waiting for him to find the time to do
what I need doing. My attention has been drawn to the Ryobi line trimmer
selling at £99.99, does anyone have one or can offer me words of wisdom.
I hate saying this but I have been an OAP for quite some time so cannot
handle anything too heavy :-)

I got a cheap light one from Argos - about £16 IIRC.

--
Rusty

good idea Rusty, cheap and cheerful :-)

kate