Old 12-05-2010, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wallflowers

Tradition has it that we plant them in October, then pull them up in spring
(whenever that is!) to make way for bedding plants.
But there is one wallflower that looked so good one year that we left it - I
think about 3 years ago.
It is now my favourite plant to grace the patio, and getting better every
year
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...wallflower.JPG

Is tradition all wrong? Care suggestions?

Lol

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
Tradition has it that we plant them in October, then pull them up in
spring (whenever that is!) to make way for bedding plants.
But there is one wallflower that looked so good one year that we left it -
I think about 3 years ago.
It is now my favourite plant to grace the patio, and getting better every
year
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...wallflower.JPG

Is tradition all wrong? Care suggestions?

Lol

Sorry, got the link wrong:
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...wallflower.JPG

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lol" wrote in message
Tradition has it that we plant them in October, then pull them up in
spring (whenever that is!) to make way for bedding plants.
But there is one wallflower that looked so good one year that we left it -
I think about 3 years ago.
It is now my favourite plant to grace the patio, and getting better every
year
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...wallflower.JPG

Is tradition all wrong? Care suggestions?

Lol

I have two wallflower plants that must be 7 years old now and they look (and
smell) brilliant.

Tina

Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Lol wrote:
It is now my favourite plant to grace the patio, and getting better every
year
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...wallflower.JPG

I think you meant
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...wallflower.JPG

It's very nice.

Is tradition all wrong? Care suggestions?

I left some in last year, and they are flowering away now, but they are
looking a bit on the leggy side now.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol[_4_] View Post
Tradition has it that we plant them in October, then pull them up in spring
(whenever that is!) to make way for bedding plants.
But there is one wallflower that looked so good one year that we left it - I
think about 3 years ago.
It is now my favourite plant to grace the patio, and getting better every
year
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...wallflower.JPG

Is tradition all wrong? Care suggestions?

Lol
They're perennial. But they can go straggly, they're not particularly exciting when not in flower, and they're cheap and easy to raise - hence the normal practice of growing them as annuals.

But no reason at all why you can't keep them going (especially if you have the odd one or two rather than a whole bed of them - you can see why you'd want to heave them out if you had a bed of a couple of hundred plants), especially if you trim back straggly growth after flowering.

Old 13-05-2010, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/05/2010 16:15, Lol wrote:
wrote in message
Tradition has it that we plant them in October, then pull them up in
spring (whenever that is!) to make way for bedding plants.
But there is one wallflower that looked so good one year that we left it -
I think about 3 years ago.
It is now my favourite plant to grace the patio, and getting better every
year
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...wallflower.JPG

Is tradition all wrong? Care suggestions?

Lol

Sorry, got the link wrong:
http://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.c...wallflower.JPG

That's gorgeous! If I were you, I'd be trying to get cuttings (seeds
may not come true) and see how they develop. If they make good plants,
you could sell them, or the rights to them. How long is the flowering
season? That is a lovely colour; not one I've seen yet in the perennial
wallflowers (Erysimum).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 15-05-2010, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 12/05/2010 16:15, Lol wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Selling the rights to plants?

Novel idea that, but I think that if even if I were the one who designed
and created plants, and owned the rights, I wouldn't need money!
True?
I'm just pleased to be able to enjoy them.

Lol

Old 17-05-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lol wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message
On 12/05/2010 16:15, Lol wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Unlikely to be profitable for anybody outside the trade, anyhow...and I
think Sacha will testify that it involves quite a bit of hassle per
penny even for a professional.

But I think all wallflowers are perennials: it's just that their habits
make it easier to treat them as biennials for most garden purposes. I
took one from the ruined walls of Reading Abbey, and it grew on, quietly
neglected, for a few years in West Wales till age and other plants
overtook it. If you don't feed yours, and dead-head rather severely
after flowering, it should go on pleasing you; it's lovely now, but I
think it will get too straggly, and cross the vague boundary between
informal and scruffy. But you can take cuttings of side shoots in, I
don't know, probably July. I've never done it with wallflowers, but one
of my books says "heel cuttings": if you haven't got a book, nice people
in this newsgroup will fill in the details.

--
Mike.

Wallflowers - what do I do with them? Mr Lawes United Kingdom 2 23-10-2003 11:02 PM
Autum.Wintrer Wallflowers trevor.appleton United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 05:22 PM
Wallflowers Scully United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 02:08 AM
splitting up wallflowers? Keith \(Portland\) United Kingdom 1 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Where can I buy Wallflowers now ?? groundhog United Kingdom 3 30-12-2002 10:42 AM