Old 15-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Default Help needed with bottle brush bush, and a harsh winter.

hi there, new on here, i was googling how to look after a bottle brush plant and come across this site. Got quite a substantial bottle brush plant in the front gardem (only lived in this house a year) but last year it was full of red beautiful flowers. the winter has turned the leaves burnt red and curled up, in some parts there ae new buds developing.

Shall i cut it back, and if i do where to?

thanks

attached a pic..
Attached Thumbnails
Help needed with bottle brush bush, and a harsh winter.-img00435-20100429-0812.jpg
Old 17-05-2010, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote
stolt wrote:

hi there, new on here, i was googling how to look after a bottle
brush plant and come across this site. Got quite a substantial
bottle brush plant in the front gardem (only lived in this house a
year) but last year it was full of red beautiful flowers. the
winter has turned the leaves burnt red and curled up, in some parts
there ae new buds developing.

Shall i cut it back, and if i do where to?

thanks

I should leave it alone for the moment. If there are new buds
developing, the chances are it will recover well, although the
red-burnt leaves will probably drop off. In a few months, you will be
able to see what parts are still alive and what have died, and cut
out the latter and maybe think about re-shaping the rest of it if
needs be.

Quite agree, patience is a virtue with all gardening.

I'm having a bit of trouble with that part. Is there anything I could add
to my garden to make things go a bit faster?

Growmore or similar fertiliser and lots of warmth and water would help. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-05-2010, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ian B wrote:
Quite agree, patience is a virtue with all gardening.

I'm having a bit of trouble with that part. Is there anything I could add to
my garden to make things go a bit faster?

Can you do rain dancing? And then some sun shining?

(Ack, just looked out the window at what was a lovely blue sky when I first
thought of hanging out the washing, and it's gone all grey! But it'll be
that yucky drizzle again and no real rain to get the poor garden going!!)

bottle brush plant tuck44 Gardening 5 06-05-2008 12:58 AM
Bottle Brush Harry 'Snapper' Organ Australia 1 30-10-2007 09:29 AM
Bottle brush losing berries Persephone Gardening 0 17-02-2007 05:50 AM
Bottle Brush Buckeye Question Gardening 0 20-04-2006 03:19 AM
Harsh winter (yet again) David WE Roberts United Kingdom 4 08-12-2004 08:51 PM