Old 04-12-2004, 06:25 PM
David WE Roberts

Default Harsh winter (yet again)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/St...366246,00.html

"The arrival of waxwings - exotic crested birds from Siberia - is
traditionally the harbinger of an icy winter. This year enormous flocks,
thousands strong, have spread across Scotland and East Anglia.

The influx has coincided with predictions from several weather forecasting
services that Britain will soon be gripped by a big freeze, reminiscent of
1963. ..."

The article then goes on to hocus the pocus quite a lot.

""Expect cold weather if hogs are fatter than usual," runs another hoary
old dictum."

If this also applies to package tourists flying back from Lanzarote then
we are in for some pretty severe weather. The US may well be headed for an
ice age :-)

Now looking out for the Waxwings (being in East Anglia).

Throw another log on the fire, just in case.

Dave R
Old 04-12-2004, 06:33 PM
David WE Roberts

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:25:15 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/St...366246,00.html

"The arrival of waxwings - exotic crested birds from Siberia - is
traditionally the harbinger of an icy winter. This year enormous flocks,
thousands strong, have spread across Scotland and East Anglia.

The influx has coincided with predictions from several weather forecasting
services that Britain will soon be gripped by a big freeze, reminiscent of
1963. ..."

snip

Googled this:
http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/waxwing.htm

I also noticed (via Google) that there are a range of low price Waxwings
for sale on eBay.

So there must be a glut this year :-)
Old 05-12-2004, 10:55 PM
shazzbat

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
[...]

I saw in todays paper that there are daffodils flowering in Pembrokeshire.
Perhaps they know something we don't?

Steve

Old 06-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Sacha

On 5/12/04 22:55, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news

snip

Now looking out for the Waxwings (being in East Anglia).

Throw another log on the fire, just in case.

I saw in todays paper that there are daffodils flowering in Pembrokeshire.
Perhaps they know something we don't?

We have seen roses, honeysuckle, valerian, primroses,forsythia and Exochorda
macrantha all blooming. The difference in temp. between roughly midday on
Friday and midday today was 10 degrees. But tonight is going to be *very*
cold, by the look - and feel - of it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Sacha
writes
We have seen roses, honeysuckle, valerian, primroses,forsythia and Exochorda
macrantha all blooming. The difference in temp. between roughly midday on
Friday and midday today was 10 degrees. But tonight is going to be *very*
cold, by the look - and feel - of it.

I've got Meconopsis cambrica in flower. (Though the second pair of
November's 4 frosts did see off various annuals, and stopped the
Sidalcea's blooming.)

I thought last night that we were going to have a frost, but there was
no sign of one this morning.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Help needed with bottle brush bush, and a harsh winter. stolt United Kingdom 3 17-05-2010 02:45 PM
OT Harsh Weather and Pine ecarecar Lawns 1 22-08-2008 12:16 AM
Goldfish, yet again pixi Ponds 7 19-02-2005 06:41 PM
Parrots feather ..yet again and Touch me Plants Roy Ponds 2 31-08-2004 05:38 PM