Old 17-05-2010, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mushroom soil

Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

Any suggestions (I know it's probably entirely wrong time of year but
it's something I think needs doing sooner or later)

All suggestions welcome...

--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 17-05-2010, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:43:34 +0100, mogga
wrote:

Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

35 quid for a bag of topsoil?

Are you sure that's not for half a lorry load?

A 56lb bag of sterilised/sieved top-soil is about £1.30 or less
locally. It won't do a lot of good without compost though.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 17-05-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

35 quid for a bag of topsoil?

one of those 1 m cubed bags not a little bag

Are you sure that's not for half a lorry load?

A 56lb bag of sterilised/sieved top-soil is about £1.30 or less
locally. It won't do a lot of good without compost though.

I've seen topsoil for 1.75 a bag (you can barely lift it the man says
but doesn't give a weight - but OH is extremly concerned about how
much his car can hold )

Old 17-05-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

Any suggestions (I know it's probably entirely wrong time of year but
it's something I think needs doing sooner or later)

All suggestions welcome...

I would go for the spent mushroom compost - it should improve the texture
and general usability of almost any type of soil.
You don't say which type of soil you have, but if it is light then it will
swallow up huge amounts of spent mushroom compost, manure etc.

I would certainly go at least 50/50 if you are intending to add topsoil.

You would, of course, have to dig it in at least partially.
Topsoil would just drop on top - but then you might want to add stuff to
your topsoil.

Old 17-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogga View Post
Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

Any suggestions (I know it's probably entirely wrong time of year but
it's something I think needs doing sooner or later)

All suggestions welcome...
I think we need to understand why you think you need to add topsoil to your vegetable plot, what's there already?

Mushroom compost is a soil conditioner, like peat, improves the texture and moisture holding ability. It actually has few nutrienst because those were exhausted by the mushrooms. Ideally it would be mixed in with the soil, though I have heard if you use it as a deep mulch the worms will do that for you over time. If you are lazy you can buy conditioned topsoil from some suppliers, ie, premixed.

Old 17-05-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:42:49 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have used mushroom compost very successfully as a soil improver. It
greatly improves the texture. However, bear in mind that it is
slightly limy and some people are wary of the chemicals which might be
in it. I've never had problems, but one year a small crop of
mushrooms!

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-05-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:42:49 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

Any suggestions (I know it's probably entirely wrong time of year but
it's something I think needs doing sooner or later)

All suggestions welcome...

I would go for the spent mushroom compost - it should improve the texture
and general usability of almost any type of soil.
You don't say which type of soil you have, but if it is light then it will
swallow up huge amounts of spent mushroom compost, manure etc.

I would certainly go at least 50/50 if you are intending to add topsoil.

You would, of course, have to dig it in at least partially.

*ahem* or him indoors would .. If rotavating counts of course

Topsoil would just drop on top - but then you might want to add stuff to
your topsoil.

Thanks
Old 17-05-2010, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day mogga,

me i'd go for teh mushroom compost from the farm usually about the
cheapest amendment around here,and add on top of the beds in betwen
the plants then top it with mulch it will break down ad do all the
right things. it is our favoured medium around here.

On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:43:34 +0100, mogga
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 17-05-2010, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:
[...]

I think we need to understand why you think you need to add topsoil to
your vegetable plot, what's there already?

Agreed. People seem to get misled into buying topsoil (or, I'm afraid,
"topsoil") far too often these days: they rarely need it. "Turf.
Rotovators. Landscape fabric. Decking. Blue fences...Mutter, mutter...
telly makeovers...mutter, mutter...ripoff...mutter..." /Old fart mode

Mushroom compost is a soil conditioner, like peat, improves the
texture and moisture holding ability. It actually has few nutrienst
because those were exhausted by the mushrooms. Ideally it would be
mixed in with the soil, though I have heard if you use it as a deep
mulch the worms will do that for you over time. If you are lazy you
can buy conditioned topsoil from some suppliers, ie, premixed.

I'd usually vote for mushroom compost alone, and let the worms do the
work. Probably loosen the top layer of the existing soil to show
willing. Then add nutrients at the appropriate time.

--
Mike.

Old 18-05-2010, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Topsoil (was Mushroom soil)

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Agreed. People seem to get misled into buying topsoil (or, I'm afraid,
"topsoil") far too often these days: they rarely need it. "Turf.
Rotovators. Landscape fabric. Decking. Blue fences...Mutter, mutter...
telly makeovers...mutter, mutter...ripoff...mutter..." /Old fart mode

I bought a ton of topsoil to raise the level of a low patch but it was full
of perennial weeds. However the bagged stuff from the garden centre
(sterilised topsoil) is handy for making up a soil-based compost for e.g.
fuschias.

R.

Old 18-05-2010, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 May 2010 12:20:50 -0400, echinosum
wrote:

mogga;887531 Wrote:
Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

Any suggestions (I know it's probably entirely wrong time of year but
it's something I think needs doing sooner or later)

All suggestions welcome...

I think we need to understand why you think you need to add topsoil to
your vegetable plot, what's there already?

Soil. It varies from nice stuff down the far end to some fairly dusty
stuff that is probably a bit clay-y if it ever rains again... but
fairly non-descript. It used to have shrubs and bluebells in - but we
have eliminated a lot of the bluebells (I'm imagining about a million
will spring up next spring though)

I want to grow some peas and beans and put some fruit bushes in
(Blackcurrants which are currently in a pot)

Old 18-05-2010, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

mogga;887531 Wrote:
[...]

You obviously know about the baker who was electrocuted when he stood on
a bun.

I'd definitely go for the mushroom compost to build up the humus. I'd
expect topsoil to contain a lot of clay, so even a well balanced sample
wouldn't do as much good as straight organic matter. As has been
mentioned already, there will be gypsum in the compost, so you may find
your new-mixed soil a bit on the alkaline side; but I doubt it, and if
it is, the lime will wash out soon enough.

You could devote special care to preparing the blackcurrant row and
plant them now; but it's late, and it might be better to pot them on
individually and wait a few months for the new bed to sort itaelf out.
Either way, they'll need pampering. IMO, that is: others may know
better.
[...]

--
Mike.

Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 10:02 PM
Mushroom soil problems? Tony Gardening 5 27-05-2010 11:49 AM
Re(2): Spent mushroom soil Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 12 09-08-2003 08:02 PM
Spent mushroom soil Edible Gardening 7 06-08-2003 03:42 PM
strange mushroom on my money tree manish mukherjee Gardening 2 21-02-2003 04:27 AM