Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bay tree thoughts

What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?
I'd like to tame it a bit and they owners don't mind either way (I do
their garden once a week) as it is pushing into some really nice shrubs
but honestly, can you even attempt to chop this down to normal bay tree
size (well I mean normal as in most sensible people's idea of size)

Janet

PS. They have THE most fantastic foliage tree which they have no idea
what it is, it is slightly fastigate, and I can't reach the leaves yet
but will try next week. It's about 30 foot tall and pure yellow gold at
the moment. The light coming from it is intense as it's like it's bathed
in sunshine at the back of this border. It looks slightly like an elm or
maybe something similar,
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?
I'd like to tame it a bit and they owners don't mind either way (I do
their garden once a week) as it is pushing into some really nice shrubs
but honestly, can you even attempt to chop this down to normal bay tree
size (well I mean normal as in most sensible people's idea of size)

Or right down. It will reshoot from both old wood and its roots.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2010 12:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?

COuld you turn it into more of a tree than a huge bush,i.e. take off a
lot of the lower branches - thus giving the shrubs underneath a bit mot
chance to spread out.
It should recover......... it might even give it a new lease of life;-)

Jill
Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jill Bell[_2_
;
COuld you turn it into more of a tree than a huge bush,i.e. take off a
lot of the lower branches - thus giving the shrubs underneath a bit mot
chance to spread out.
It should recover......... it might even give it a new lease of life;-)

Jill
Hi Jill - lovely to see you back again!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 wrote:

What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?
I'd like to tame it a bit and they owners don't mind either way (I do
their garden once a week) as it is pushing into some really nice shrubs
but honestly, can you even attempt to chop this down to normal bay tree
size (well I mean normal as in most sensible people's idea of size)

Or right down. It will reshoot from both old wood and its roots.

Yes, I did exactly this a couple of years ago and it's sprouting
vigorously from the stump.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 05-06-2010, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jill Bell
writes
On 04/06/2010 12:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?

COuld you turn it into more of a tree than a huge bush,i.e. take off a
lot of the lower branches - thus giving the shrubs underneath a bit mot
chance to spread out.
It should recover......... it might even give it a new lease of life;-)

Jill

Could do Jill but then she wouldn't be bale to reach the leaves! Mind
you I've also uncovered three rockeries they didn't know they had, as
they were covered in ivy like humps. One of the rockeries is about 20
foot in length!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What would you do with a bay tree that had been allowed to go its own
way and is now about 35 foot high and also very wide, stuck in the
middle of a shrubbery?
I'd like to tame it a bit and they owners don't mind either way (I do
their garden once a week) as it is pushing into some really nice shrubs
but honestly, can you even attempt to chop this down to normal bay tree
size (well I mean normal as in most sensible people's idea of size)

Or right down. It will reshoot from both old wood and its roots.

Yes, I did exactly this a couple of years ago and it's sprouting
vigorously from the stump.

David

We have big bay trees, you can attack them and chop them to whatever size or
shape you want and they will forgive you and start growing again :-)

kate

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2010 02:31, Janet Tweedy wrote:

It should recover......... it might even give it a new lease of life;-)

Jill

Could do Jill but then she wouldn't be bale to reach the leaves! Mind
you I've also uncovered three rockeries they didn't know they had, as
they were covered in ivy like humps. One of the rockeries is about 20
foot in length!

Sounds like you've got your own personal Helligan to play with:-)

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post

We have big bay trees, you can attack them and chop them to whatever size or
shape you want and they will forgive you and start growing again :-)

kate
Or you can take a bundle of cuttings, and once they've grown, remove the original completely.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jill Bell
writes

Sounds like you've got your own personal Helligan to play with:-)

Having cleared one medium sized rockery with a pick axe and lots of
wheelbarrow loads of ivy etc. and then planted rockery stuff there is a
multitude of Ceratostigma sprouting all over the place!! No idea it was
there except the owner said she thought she had seen one or two lovely
blue flowers about 3 years ago amongst the ivy!.
presumably the Ceratostigma has rooted throughout the 'hump' and with a
bit of luck i can get about 40 - 50 plants out of it
Just shows you the perversity of plants, my C. gave up on me twice in my
flower beds and here it's survived ivy and pick axing etc.!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Tree problems (thoughts) symplastless Gardening 0 15-05-2007 10:37 PM
thoughts from the fall tree conference Treedweller Texas 1 07-10-2006 10:28 PM
bay tree compost papa United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 02:47 PM
Laurel Nobilis - Bay tree Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 02:06 PM
Non gardener needs help with bay tree Steve Drake United Kingdom 1 15-01-2003 06:08 PM