Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Shredder recommendations?

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Jones" wrote in message
news

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.

Bosch. I've got one. It's good at dealing with things with a stem that
it can get hold of and any leaves that may be attached. Less good at what
I might call "mushy stuff" like weeds and leaves on their own.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Responding to Graham Harrison:

"Mike Jones" wrote in message
news

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.

Bosch. I've got one. It's good at dealing with things with a stem
that it can get hold of and any leaves that may be attached. Less good
at what I might call "mushy stuff" like weeds and leaves on their own.

Seems others have similar opinions. Cheers!

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/2010 21:05, Mike Jones wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Avoid Black & Decker. I had one and it was crap. I threw it away in the
end. I spent more time unjamming it than using it. The Bosch quiet
shredders always get good reviews on here.

Oddly enough I don't have a shredder at all now despite having a very
big garden. All the hedge clippings are burned on bare earth parts of
the veg garden and the ashes rotovated into the soil. All the soft
vegetable waste is composted. That just leaves the hard vegetable waste
such as the stems on cabbages, brussels sprouts etc and for those I
simply use a small hand axe and pulverise them on the end of an upturned
log into two inch long bits - then compost the mashed up bits. Whole
brassica stems take an eternity to rot down otherwise.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote
Avoid Black & Decker. I had one and it was crap. I threw it away in
the end. I spent more time unjamming it than using it.

Too true. Whatever you get don't buy one with blades - they shriek like
demented banshees, blunt within minutes and block continuously. We hired
one once and what a waste of money and an afternoon that was.

In the end we bought an Al-ko 'Silent Power' model after friends waxed
lyrical on the merits of theirs, and it's now given us several years of
sterling service. It's robustly made and certainly has good chopping and
crunching power.

The Bosch quiet shredders always get good reviews on here.

Yes, I hear good things about those too.

--
Sue

Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Been said many times before but I have still to see one better than the
Bosch 2200
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:05:10 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Yes. Read the FAQ:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm
Old 10-06-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2010 16:16, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:05:10 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Yes. Read the FAQ:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

According to the date mentioned at the head of the page it is 14 years
out of date!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Responding to David in Normandy:

On 10/06/2010 16:16, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:05:10 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Yes. Read the FAQ:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

According to the date mentioned at the head of the page it is 14 years
out of date!

I still learned a few things though.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Responding to Derek Turner:

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:05:10 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Yes. Read the FAQ:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

Cheers!

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 Derek Turner wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Yes. Read the FAQ:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

Which is considerably out of date.

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 Derek Turner wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Yes. Read the FAQ:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

Which is considerably out of date.

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

All together now: the Bosch 2200 'quiet' shredder (the one with
the 'cogwheel'. No use for soft foliage, but that composts, anyway.
No idea what to use for leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

More appropriately:

Everyone who owns one (and there are good many regulars who do)
swears by the Bosch AXT 2200 Quiet shredder. It is quiet and
reliable and can handled pretty well all the woody and semi-woody
material a normal gardener needs to shred. Do not get confused,
because there is also a Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder, which uses
a different, noisier and less reliable mechanism. The quiet one
uses a drum/cog cutter, and not revolving blades. It has recently
been replaced by the AXT 22 D, which has no reports yet. Like
most shredders, it will not handle leaves or lots of fleshy foliage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 Nick Maclaren wrote:

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

More appropriately:

Everyone who owns one (and there are good many regulars who do)
swears by the Bosch AXT 2200 Quiet shredder. It is quiet and
reliable and can handled pretty well all the woody and semi-woody
material a normal gardener needs to shred. Do not get confused,
because there is also a Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder, which uses
a different, noisier and less reliable mechanism. The quiet one
uses a drum/cog cutter, and not revolving blades. It has recently
been replaced by the AXT 22 D, which has no reports yet. Like
most shredders, it will not handle leaves or lots of fleshy foliage.

Thanks for that, Nick. I'll add it when I've a moment.

In fact I have a Viking Quiet shredder which sounds like the Bosch and
does every bit as good a job.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 13-06-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Responding to nmm1:

In article , David Rance
wrote:

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

More appropriately:

Everyone who owns one (and there are good many regulars who do) swears
by the Bosch AXT 2200 Quiet shredder. It is quiet and reliable and can
handled pretty well all the woody and semi-woody material a normal
gardener needs to shred. Do not get confused, because there is also a
Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder, which uses a different, noisier and less
reliable mechanism. The quiet one uses a drum/cog cutter, and not
revolving blades. It has recently been replaced by the AXT 22 D, which
has no reports yet. Like most shredders, it will not handle leaves or
lots of fleshy foliage.

Good info. Thanks.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/