Old 13-06-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Shredder recommendations?

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

More appropriately:

Everyone who owns one (and there are good many regulars who do)
swears by the Bosch AXT 2200 Quiet shredder. It is quiet and
reliable and can handled pretty well all the woody and semi-woody
material a normal gardener needs to shred. Do not get confused,
because there is also a Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder, which uses
a different, noisier and less reliable mechanism. The quiet one
uses a drum/cog cutter, and not revolving blades. It has recently
been replaced by the AXT 22 D, which has no reports yet. Like
most shredders, it will not handle leaves or lots of fleshy foliage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-06-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 Nick Maclaren wrote:

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

More appropriately:

Everyone who owns one (and there are good many regulars who do)
swears by the Bosch AXT 2200 Quiet shredder. It is quiet and
reliable and can handled pretty well all the woody and semi-woody
material a normal gardener needs to shred. Do not get confused,
because there is also a Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder, which uses
a different, noisier and less reliable mechanism. The quiet one
uses a drum/cog cutter, and not revolving blades. It has recently
been replaced by the AXT 22 D, which has no reports yet. Like
most shredders, it will not handle leaves or lots of fleshy foliage.

Thanks for that, Nick. I'll add it when I've a moment.

In fact I have a Viking Quiet shredder which sounds like the Bosch and
does every bit as good a job.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 13-06-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Responding to nmm1:

In article , David Rance
wrote:

If anyone would like to send me brief appreciations of their own
shredders I would be happy to add them to the FAQ.

More appropriately:

Everyone who owns one (and there are good many regulars who do) swears
by the Bosch AXT 2200 Quiet shredder. It is quiet and reliable and can
handled pretty well all the woody and semi-woody material a normal
gardener needs to shred. Do not get confused, because there is also a
Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder, which uses a different, noisier and less
reliable mechanism. The quiet one uses a drum/cog cutter, and not
revolving blades. It has recently been replaced by the AXT 22 D, which
has no reports yet. Like most shredders, it will not handle leaves or
lots of fleshy foliage.

Good info. Thanks.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
Old 13-06-2010, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Responding to Steven Wayne:

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:05:10 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones
wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

Other than the "aging parents" part, I have a Mighty Mac Woodsman 10
going on eBay shortly which fulfills all your requirements.

It's heavy though so it's probably not suitable for your parents.

I'm looking for £500 if anybody else wants it.....

Pictures: http://swayne.freeshell.org/Selling/ Words:
http://swayne.freeshell.org/Selling/mm.html

Steven

Too much, too heavy, and probably too far. Ta anyhoo.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
Old 13-06-2010, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news

wrote:

We need one with wheels. Will be used by aging parents.

Needs good crunching power, minimum leaf cloggage, and will last.

Suggestions?

I have the bosch with a spiral cutting mechanism not the "cog" type ,tho' I
read the cog type are better??
Got mine off ebay - there are a few graded product sellers , much cheaper
than elsewhere, had it a few years now. Don't get the noisy spinning blade
type! Mine sounds at a washing machine noise level.

Old 13-06-2010, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"davej" writes:

I have the bosch with a spiral cutting mechanism not the "cog" type ,tho' I
read the cog type are better??

I'd been wondering why mine was cheeping yesterday...

http://www.vulch.org/~vulch/images/ShredderRobin.gif

Anthony