Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olive Tree compost ?

I've been bequeathed an olive tree in a 14" square container. The tree
stands about 3' 6" high and has obviously been neglected by the previous
owner..... sparse foliage etc. Also, it looks to be set in predominantly
sandy medium which cannot possibly have any "goodness" left by now.
I want to repot it, but I cannot find any advice on what type of compost is
most suitable for container grown olives.
Any help would be appreciated.

vsop

Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"vsop" wrote in message
I've been bequeathed an olive tree in a 14" square container. The tree
stands about 3' 6" high and has obviously been neglected by the previous
owner..... sparse foliage etc. Also, it looks to be set in predominantly
sandy medium which cannot possibly have any "goodness" left by now.
I want to repot it, but I cannot find any advice on what type of compost
is most suitable for container grown olives.
Any help would be appreciated.

As usual, Google is your friend :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/cont..._feature.shtml

suggests
"...and if you intend to use sterile soil for repotting your Olive tree you
will need to mix the soil with peat and a sharp grit sand. Olive trees love
a well drained potting medium and I would recommend using a mixture of two
parts sterile soil, one part peat and one part grit sand and you will also
need to add a small amount of a base fertiliser and a sprinkling of ground
lime stone. "

also
"If your plant is pot bound I would repot your Olive into a 10" terracotta
pot ensuring that there is plenty of drainage in the bottom and I would use
a soil based compost - John Innes No 2 or 3.

It is very important when repotting your plant not to damage or disturb the
roots as this could affect the flowering of your Olive plant. Olive plants
are ideal for a conservatory - they will tolerate cool conditions in the
winter months and the very hot dry conditions during the summer months.
Throughout the summer months you will need to ensure your plant is well
watered and feed with a general liquid tree fertiliser."

So the soil requirements seem similar to those for lemons - a recommendation
of JI No. 2 plus additional grit or perlite to ensure free draining.

The predominantly sandy medium it is already in sounds O.K.
If you think it lacks nutrition, then feed the poor thing immediately!
You always have to feed and water pot grown plants and trees.
Any general feed such as Phostrogen should give it a boost.

The online advice talks a lot about bringing olives in over winter, but our
tree has managed O.K. through the last severe winter although it is in a
sheltered south facing garden.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

As usual, Google is your friend :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/cont..._feature.shtml

Thank you David.
I should have thought of Mr. Google; the obvious is sometimes very
difficult to see !!
Best Regards
vsop.