Old 13-06-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

Wally

Old 13-06-2010, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Wally wrote:
I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

Since you can get potatoes now thatyou plant late for a Christmas crop, I'd
say go for it. WHat's the worst that happens - you get a small crop. I
also have some sprouting potatoes left with no room, so I'm going to plant
them in tubs that can go into the greenhouse when the frosts start, I think.

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

I have had less success with onions, so I'm going to defer this to someone
else, but I suspect the same answer goes.
Old 13-06-2010, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 June, 12:20, wrote:
Wally wrote:
I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

Since you can get potatoes now thatyou plant late for a Christmas crop, I'd
say go for it. *WHat's the worst that happens - you get a small crop. *I
also have some sprouting potatoes left with no room, so I'm going to plant
them in tubs that can go into the greenhouse when the frosts start, I think.

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

I have had less success with onions, so I'm going to defer this to someone
else, but I suspect the same answer goes.

Re onions, Plant them, they probably won't form a bulb, but you can
use them gree in salad or for cooking.
David Hill
Old 13-06-2010, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote...
I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

You need 14 weeks growing for main crop potatoes and that takes us to about
the 19th September. Probably won't get a frost by then so should be fine.
If you mean fully grown onions that are sprouting then if you plant them you
will get flowers and eventually seeds. If it's sets that are sprouting I
wouldn't think there was enough time left for them to grow into proper
onions but worth a go anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-06-2010, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote...
I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

You need 14 weeks growing for main crop potatoes and that takes us to
about the 19th September. Probably won't get a frost by then so should be
fine.
If you mean fully grown onions that are sprouting then if you plant them
you will get flowers and eventually seeds. If it's sets that are sprouting
I wouldn't think there was enough time left for them to grow into proper
onions but worth a go anyway.

Thank you all who replied, looks like I'm going to get some late potatoes
and some pretty onion flowers.

Wally

Old 13-06-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote...
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Wally" wrote...
I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

You need 14 weeks growing for main crop potatoes and that takes us to
about the 19th September. Probably won't get a frost by then so should be
fine.
If you mean fully grown onions that are sprouting then if you plant them
you will get flowers and eventually seeds. If it's sets that are
sprouting I wouldn't think there was enough time left for them to grow
into proper onions but worth a go anyway.

Thank you all who replied, looks like I'm going to get some late potatoes
and some pretty onion flowers.

If you want to cut the flowers for use indoors then put a little, few drops,
of household bleach in the water and it will take the onion smell away.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-06-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:31:49 +0100, "Wally"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Wally" wrote...
I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

You need 14 weeks growing for main crop potatoes and that takes us to
about the 19th September. Probably won't get a frost by then so should be
fine.
If you mean fully grown onions that are sprouting then if you plant them
you will get flowers and eventually seeds. If it's sets that are sprouting
I wouldn't think there was enough time left for them to grow into proper
onions but worth a go anyway.

Thank you all who replied, looks like I'm going to get some late potatoes
and some pretty onion flowers.

Wally

I stuck some onion bulbs in that had sprouted... two have taken ok and
one isn't doing quite as well - but even if it ends up on the compost
eventually it'll be interesting to see them try to flower.

--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 13-06-2010, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
will get flowers and eventually seeds. If it's sets that are sprouting I
wouldn't think there was enough time left for them to grow into proper
onions but worth a go anyway.

Could save them and over-winter them, perhaps?
Old 14-06-2010, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in news:hv2d2m$uk7$1
@news.albasani.net:

I have a bit of room left on the allotment and some
potatoes that are sprouting.
What is the latest to plant them and get some success?
Would I be wasting my time planting them now ?

I have also found some onions that are started to send
out shoots, same question applies for those.

Wally

A couple of years ago a friend had to dig up his potato crop as he had dug
in some infected manure from a stable using a herbicide which stayed in the
soil and killed or damaged crops in contact with it, we have all heard this
story.
He planted a different area in late June with potatoes, a main crop, and
had a lovelly harvest I think late October, and left some until December.
If you have some to sow I would do it, as my friend had a big problem then
of finding seed potatoes at that time of year.

Hope this helps
PtePike