Old 14-06-2010, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default artichokes looming crisis

planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

help

what do I do? pinch out the tips or something?

anyway, which bit of artichokes do you eat?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 14-06-2010, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/06/2010 10:33, Gill Smith wrote:
planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

Assuming they're Jerusalem artichokes, they'll make it to 6ft or more
tall and have nice yellow flowers a bit like small sunflowers.

help

what do I do? pinch out the tips or something?

No need to do anything.

anyway, which bit of artichokes do you eat?

Again - assuming they're Jerusalems, you eat the tubers. Cook like
potatoes, or make into soup. Some folks find them fairly indigestible!
If they're the other sort of artichoke (plant looks like a large
thistle) you eat the flowers.

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 14-06-2010, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gill Smith wrote:
planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

help

I'm guessing you mean jerusalem artichokes, not globe?
In which case, you just let them grow.

what do I do? pinch out the tips or something?

Nope. Mine regularly got to over 7'. They did better than the sunflower.
Less spectacular flowers, though. (they are sunflower family, iirc, so it's
not all that surprising)

The kids made a den in the artichoke bed (which wasn't meant to be an
artichoke bed!) last year. I think they're going to be disappointed this
year as they won't be allowed to play in the corn.

anyway, which bit of artichokes do you eat?

Tubers. You dig them up in the autumn.
Old 14-06-2010, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:33:27 +0100, "Gill Smith"
wrote:

planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

help

what do I do? pinch out the tips or something?

anyway, which bit of artichokes do you eat?

Nah they won't go much over 7ft.

The underground bit if they're jerusalam ones.
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 14-06-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

globe?

Aaah, that was the word I was wracking my brain for!!

Old 14-06-2010, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
globe?

Aaah, that was the word I was wracking my brain for!!

It's an awkward word to lose - it just rolls away if you drop it.
Old 14-06-2010, 04:38 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Smith View Post
planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

--
Gill Smith
They're cyclical. They die down each winter and start again ;-)
Old 14-06-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
On 14/06/2010 10:33, Gill Smith wrote:
planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

Assuming they're Jerusalem artichokes, they'll make it to 6ft or more tall
and have nice yellow flowers a bit like small sunflowers.

help

what do I do? pinch out the tips or something?

No need to do anything.

anyway, which bit of artichokes do you eat?

Again - assuming they're Jerusalems, you eat the tubers. Cook like
potatoes, or make into soup. Some folks find them fairly indigestible!
If they're the other sort of artichoke (plant looks like a large thistle)
you eat the flowers.

I have been warned that the 'f' is silent in these plants.....

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/