Old 19-06-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Failing Rhodos

A friend of mine is experiencing problems with her Rhododendrons. She says
it flowered very well, but now the leaves are dying and falling off and the
branches have a sort of grey coating. I haven't seen the bush so I can't
eleborate on the grey coating - maybe it is a sort of dusty coating.

Any ideas about the problem please?

Bill

Old 19-06-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey"wrote
A friend of mine is experiencing problems with her Rhododendrons. She
says it flowered very well, but now the leaves are dying and falling off
and the branches have a sort of grey coating. I haven't seen the bush so
I can't eleborate on the grey coating - maybe it is a sort of dusty
coating.

Any ideas about the problem please?

Could be "Sudden Oak Death" Phytophthora ramorum which actually infects
Rhodos etc and whilst it seldom kills them it does make them lose their
leaves, normally the oldest ones.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=329

Didn't realise it was still a notifiable disease.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-06-2010, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Bill Grey"wrote
A friend of mine is experiencing problems with her Rhododendrons. She
says it flowered very well, but now the leaves are dying and falling
off and the branches have a sort of grey coating. I haven't seen the
bush so I can't eleborate on the grey coating - maybe it is a sort of
dusty coating.

Any ideas about the problem please?

Could be "Sudden Oak Death" Phytophthora ramorum which actually infects
Rhodos etc and whilst it seldom kills them it does make them lose their
leaves, normally the oldest ones.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=329

Didn't realise it was still a notifiable disease.

I don't see any mention of a dusty, grey, coating among the symptoms
there. Isn't rhododendron powdery mildew a better bet?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-06-2010, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Bill Grey"wrote
A friend of mine is experiencing problems with her Rhododendrons. She
says it flowered very well, but now the leaves are dying and falling off
and the branches have a sort of grey coating. I haven't seen the bush
so I can't eleborate on the grey coating - maybe it is a sort of dusty
coating.

Any ideas about the problem please?

Could be "Sudden Oak Death" Phytophthora ramorum which actually infects
Rhodos etc and whilst it seldom kills them it does make them lose their
leaves, normally the oldest ones.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=329

Didn't realise it was still a notifiable disease.

I don't see any mention of a dusty, grey, coating among the symptoms
there. Isn't rhododendron powdery mildew a better bet?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks to you who have replied, I shall forward the information to my friend
and perhaps she can further describe the problem.

Bill

Old 20-06-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On Jun 19, 6:46*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Bill Grey"wrote
A friend of mine is experiencing problems with her Rhododendrons. She
says it flowered very well, but now the leaves are dying and falling
off *and the branches have a sort of grey coating. *I haven't seen the
bush so *I can't eleborate on the grey coating - maybe it is a sort of
dusty *coating.

Any ideas about the problem please?

Could be "Sudden Oak Death" Phytophthora ramorum which actually infects
Rhodos etc and whilst it seldom kills them it does make them lose their
leaves, normally the oldest ones.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=329

Didn't realise it was still a notifiable disease.

I don't see any mention of a dusty, grey, coating among the symptoms
there. Isn't rhododendron powdery mildew a better bet?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

Yes.

Rod

Phal spikes failing Byron Orchids 1 26-04-2006 10:35 PM
Need help for failing evergreen shrub Rick Rogan Gardening 4 22-02-2006 09:48 PM
tomato plants failing Roleft Edible Gardening 3 09-06-2004 03:05 PM
sealed hydrostatic transmission failing JerryO Lawns 0 30-06-2003 09:20 PM
Jacarandas failing... Trish Brown Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM