Old 21-06-2010, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Electrical Plug & Socket for Garden Tools

One day I simply cut the cables to my strimmer and hedge cutter with the
view to attach a plug to both. Now I've got around to attaching a plug.

I have at home an orange-coloured socket and I thought it might be used
by all garden tool manufacturers - a kind of univerally used socket.

Well, I notice that it's made by Black & Decker and I wonder if it's
Black & Decker's own product and not universally used by other
manufacturers. It's marked 844840.

I wonder if these plugs and sockets (Black & Decker) are still the norm.
Or obsolete.

I guess I can try to get two matching plugs for the socket I have.

Or, are we in a situation of needing to get a current (no pun intended)
or up-to-date plug and socket combination?

Is there a universally used plug and socket combination these days for
garden tools?

TIA.
Old 21-06-2010, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2010 10:36, Richard wrote:
[...]

Aah, It looks like, strictly-speaking, the following combination of
Black & Decker plug and sockets are obsolete, but that you can still get
them if you search around:

Power Coupler (Socket) 844840

Plug 885264

However I dont fancy spending over £6.00 for a mere socket.

Yet, if I get another combination, I'd have to but both plug and socket.

Anyone know what plug and socket combination I should get if I went and
discarded the now obsolete Black and Decker combination?
Old 21-06-2010, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 June, 11:01, Richard wrote:

Anyone know what plug and socket combination I should get if I went and
discarded the now obsolete Black and Decker combination?

What is wrong with a rubber 13A combination? You shouldn't be cutting
the grass in the rain.

Have a look at
http://essentialsupplies.co.uk/acata...ockets_84.html

The flat black ones by MK Duraplug have been around since the 1950s,
and mower companies have had them moulded in orange. But they aren't
shuttered like a 13A one. They do pull apart if tugged, which can be
a safety feature in certain circumstances. Type 102 are 2-pin (for
double insulated devices) and 103 has an offset earth pin.

MK duraplug also do an in-line 13A system, with a round splassproof
skirt that the round plug slips into. ave a look at
http://www.bizflips.com/library/pdf/...K_Duraplug.pdf page
4
The only truly standardised one is the blue 16A conenctor, but it is
virtually unknown domestically except for caravan users.

There are also splashproof jointers that are not plug and socket
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12534/...ble-Joint-IP67

you should be able to pick one of these up for about 3 quid at the
right sort of place, e.g. a farm shop.
Old 21-06-2010, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/10 12:39, bobharvey wrote:
[...]

and boat users and other outdoor users.
Old 22-06-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Assuming you're in the UK, your basic requirement is a standard 13 amp
socket strip with a 30 milliamp earth leackage circuit breaker.I live in a
foreign place, but without getting technical or argumentative, the
explanation is that the traditional UK wiring rules don't provide enough
protection for outside sockets or appliances. An ordinary householder should
have no need for plugs other than the normal 13 amp ones.

Advice and regulations are based on statistics (dead child count, etc),
which are gathered internationally but don't seem to be adequately
publicised. Rules and regulations go down better if the reasons are
provided.

Nowadays all mains sockets have shutters, which are particularly effective
with the UK design of plug. What I can't understand is the regulatory
insistence on additional childproofing devices.

Regards

Old 22-06-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/10 21:15, Daddy Tadpole wrote:
Assuming you're in the UK, your basic requirement is a standard 13 amp
socket strip with a 30 milliamp earth leackage circuit breaker.

Some electric garden tools are double insulated rather than earthed.

I live in
a foreign place, but without getting technical or argumentative, the
explanation is that the traditional UK wiring rules don't provide enough
protection for outside sockets or appliances. An ordinary householder
should have no need for plugs other than the normal 13 amp ones.

The mains plug and socket used by caravans is a European standard.

Advice and regulations are based on statistics (dead child count, etc),
which are gathered internationally but don't seem to be adequately
publicised. Rules and regulations go down better if the reasons are
provided.

Nowadays all mains sockets have shutters, which are particularly
effective with the UK design of plug. What I can't understand is the
regulatory insistence on additional childproofing devices.

Dutch mains sockets do not have shutters.

Old 23-06-2010, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 June, 23:22, Martin wrote:

Nowadays all mains sockets have shutters, which are particularly
effective with the UK design of plug. What I can't understand is the
regulatory insistence on additional childproofing devices.

Dutch mains sockets do not have shutters.

's queer, but some places have sprung lids over schuko connectors,
others have spring shutters in the pins, and others have nothing.