Old 25-06-2010, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa European Mole Cricket

My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?
Old 25-06-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:04:21 +0200, Martin
wrote:

My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

Are they really noisy? Heard something yesterday that sounded like a
huge cricket
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 25-06-2010, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

Are they really noisy? Heard something yesterday that sounded like a
huge cricket

The one my wife accidentally cut in half with a spade didn't say a word.

Years ago a mole cricket flew into my flat that was really noisy.
Old 25-06-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 25, 3:04*pm, Martin wrote:

How does one get rid of them?

Suggest off-breaks interspersed with the odd googly - an occasional
yorker also can get results.
Old 25-06-2010, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/10 17:52, moghouse wrote:
On Jun 25, 3:04 pm, Martin wrote:

How does one get rid of them?

Suggest off-breaks interspersed with the odd googly - an occasional
yorker also can get results.

That doesn't even work for the MCC.

Old 25-06-2010, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:04:21 +0200, Martin wrote:

My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

They are sufficiently rare to be on the GB Red list and are a protected
species under Schedule 5 of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act.
http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima...tcm6-11356.pdf. I
suggest that you have a word with your local wildlife trust who should be
able to give you some assistance. If you draw a blank with them post
again on this thread.

--
rbel
Old 25-06-2010, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

Do we understand that your mole crickets are in the Netherlands? You don't
actually say so.
R.

Old 25-06-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/10 19:52, rbel wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:04:21 +0200, Martin wrote:

My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

They are sufficiently rare to be on the GB Red list and are a protected
species under Schedule 5 of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act.
http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima...tcm6-11356.pdf.
I suggest that you have a word with your local wildlife trust who should
be able to give you some assistance. If you draw a blank with them post
again on this thread.

I'm in the Netherlands, where they are a pest.

Old 25-06-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/10 22:30, Ragnar wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

Do we understand that your mole crickets are in the Netherlands? You don't
actually say so.

True. I am in NL. All I want to know is how to get rid of them. It's
strange that the Netherlands populated the USA with mole crickets via
exported flower bulbs, but none seem to have found their way to UK.
Old 26-06-2010, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:31:17 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 25/06/10 22:30, Ragnar wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2...news_6328.html
How does one get rid of them?

Do we understand that your mole crickets are in the Netherlands? You
don't
actually say so.

True. I am in NL. All I want to know is how to get rid of them. It's
strange that the Netherlands populated the USA with mole crickets via
exported flower bulbs, but none seem to have found their way to UK.

As Mole Crickets are such a rarity in the UK specific controls are a bit
thin on the ground here. In parts of world where it is an agricultural
pest they (used to?) use organophosphates but it is now likely that
biological controls are available - whether you are able to access them is
another matter. A quick Google search turned up this which seems a bit
hit and miss but may be worth trying http://tinyurl.com/35l5x55
--
rbel

Old 26-06-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/10 22:30, Ragnar wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. Pesticides are not allowed on the allotments.
Drowning them using a garden hose is worth a try.
I don't think the claim that birds etc.will eliminate them naturally.
They live in tunnels under our potatoes and other root crops and don't
appear to come out into the open.
Old 28-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
My wife has these in her allotment. They are munching her root
vegetables. They seem to be common in the Netherlands but rare in UK.
Rare insect, the mole cricket, discovered in Oxfordshire garden - Natural History Museum
How does one get rid of them?
With only 4 sightings in 25 years, they are now exceedingly rare in Britain. They seem to like soggy ground. One place they used to be found in Britain was in meadows alongside the River Mole (not named for the cricket) in Surrey. But they have not been seen there recently. It seems that modern agricultural practices are not a problem for them, if they are common in NL. Perhaps it is just the pervasiveness of land drainage that has done for them in Britain.

A few years ago the Netherlands decided not to conserve its last peat bog on the grounds that, although rare in the Netherlands, there is plenty of peat bog remaining in Ireland and Britain, with substantial areas conserved. I really wonder whether the mole cricket ought to be a conservation priority in Britain if they are common enough to be a pest in neighbouring countries.
Old 28-06-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Natural History Museum' (http://tinyurl.com/273x66k)
[...]

They are a pest in most countries except UK.

If you are desperate you could always come to the Netherlands and
collect a few mole crickets.
Old 28-06-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin;892100 Wrote:
A few years ago the Netherlands decided not to conserve its last peat
bog on the grounds that, although rare in the Netherlands, there is
plenty of peat bog remaining in Ireland and Britain, with substantial
areas conserved. I really wonder whether the mole cricket ought to be a
conservation priority in Britain if they are common enough to be a pest
in neighbouring countries.

They are a pest in most countries except UK.

Sounds like 'pass the buck' to me. Mole crickets would be most welcome
in my non-virtual back garden

Old 28-06-2010, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/10 23:35, amateur birder wrote:
Martin wrote:
On 28/06/10 10:34, echinosum wrote:
Martin;892100 Wrote: A few years ago the Netherlands decided not to
conserve its last peat
bog on the grounds that, although rare in the Netherlands, there is
plenty of peat bog remaining in Ireland and Britain, with substantial
areas conserved. I really wonder whether the mole cricket ought to be a
conservation priority in Britain if they are common enough to be a pest
in neighbouring countries.

They are a pest in most countries except UK.

Sounds like 'pass the buck' to me. Mole crickets would be most welcome
in my non-virtual back garden

So that they can much your virtual bulbs, potatoes and carrots?