Old 11-07-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chrysanthemum Thief ?

Anyone solve this mystery ?

I bought a few chrysanthemum rooted cuttings at Hampton Court yesterday
and potted them on into 3" pots which I left on the patio. This morning
I spotted one of the labels lying some 4' away and on trying to replace
it found that the plant and a quantity of compost had vanished.

We do have foxes around but why would one take a chrysanthemum ?

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 July, 21:30, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:17:23 +0100, Paul Luton

wrote:
Anyone solve this mystery ?

I bought a few chrysanthemum rooted cuttings at Hampton Court yesterday
and potted them on into 3" pots which I left on the patio. This morning
I spotted one of the labels lying some 4' away and on trying to replace
it found that the plant and a quantity of compost had vanished.

We do have foxes around but why would one take a chrysanthemum ?

Paul

Sommat attractive in the compost maybe?

For the princely sum of £25.00 the National Chrysanthemum Society will
send you a DVD of (among others) Ivor Fox *spraying in his greemnhouse
and planting out in his plot.

Seriously, I've had foxes (or more accurately a fox singular) in the
garden (and once in the house) for a few years and I've never known
any plants to be dug up. Others will no doubt say foxes dig plants out
of the ground looking for something in the soil but digging out of 3
inch pots seems a bit unusual to me, especially as you say the
original plants are nowhere to be seen.

If I was you, I'd put it down to experience and do a Jeanette
Macdonald/Nelson Eddy rendition of "Sweet Mystery of Life" to
entertain the neighbours.

Jake

I have problems with young foxes pulling out labels from some of the
dahlias and throwing them arouind as a puppy will a sliper.
I cant use anything like bone meal, bolld fish and bone etc as the
foxes dig hell out of the place looking for the food.
The missing plant may have just been grabed ready to play with when
something disturbed it and it ran off with the plant.
Have you looked around to see if it has been droped somewhere in the
garden, esp around your boundary?
David Hill
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

OK but who is this Ivor Fox?
And what was he spraying?
David Hill
Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/07/2010 20:17, Paul Luton wrote:
Anyone solve this mystery ?

I bought a few chrysanthemum rooted cuttings at Hampton Court
yesterday and potted them on into 3" pots which I left on the patio.
This morning I spotted one of the labels lying some 4' away and on
trying to replace it found that the plant and a quantity of compost
had vanished.

We do have foxes around but why would one take a chrysanthemum ?

Paul

Pigeons??

Obama as president: The Commander and Thief jgalt Gardening 129 04-11-2008 09:31 PM
Fish Thief Caught In The Act - Was "The Fish Are Gone" ChrisGW Ponds 2 13-03-2007 12:14 AM
Most Incompetent Orchid Thief.. Diana Kulaga Orchids 11 07-05-2005 12:53 AM
Plant thief! Genevieve Gardening 48 08-05-2004 01:03 AM
Does anyone not like The Orchid Thief? Sarah Huff Orchids 21 03-11-2003 01:12 AM