Old 18-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Sarah Huff

Default Does anyone not like The Orchid Thief?

Hi all! Is there anyone out there who, like me, did not like Susan Orleans' book The Orchid Thief? I disliked it so much that I didn't bother finishing it. I thought Eric Hansen's book Orchid Fever was much better.

Just curious.

Sarah

Old 18-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Doris

Zero-Knowledge MIME Encapsulated Message

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C37DEF.384F1B30

I didn't finish it either. That was one boring book. I can't believe =
they made a movie out of it.
"Sarah Huff" wrote in message =
. ..
Hi all! Is there anyone out there who, like me, did not like Susan =
Orleans' book The Orchid Thief? I disliked it so much that I didn't =
bother finishing it. I thought Eric Hansen's book Orchid Fever was much =
better.

Just curious.

Sarah

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C37DEF.384F1B30

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2I didn't finish it either. That was one =
boring=20
book. I can't believe they made a movie out of it./FONT/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV"Sarah Huff" <A=20
"cardigan@ade lphia.net/A> =
wrote in=20
message A=20
=
hia.net"news:6viab.865=
/A.../DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Hi all!  Is there anyone out =
there who, like=20
me, did not like Susan Orleans' book UThe Orchid Thief/U?  I =
disliked=20
it so much that I didn't bother finishing it.  I thought Eric =
Hansen's=20
book UOrchid Fever/U was much better./FONT/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Just curious./FONT/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2Sarah/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=3DArial size=3D2A=20
=
"cardigan@ade lphia.net/A/FONT/D=
IV
DIV /DIV/BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C37DEF.384F1B30--

Old 18-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Dewitt

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:14:49 -0400, "Doris" wrote:

I didn't finish it either. That was one boring book. I can't believe they made a movie out of it.

I'm in the process of reading it now, and will probably struggle
though and complete it. Yes, Hansen's book is much better. Orleans
mentioned that she first wrote a magazine article on the topic and
then decided to write a book. That's pretty much how it reads - a
magazine article with a whole lot of filler. Lord knows why she
included an entire chapter on Florida land scandels.

deg
Old 18-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Mick Fournier

Sarah,

You and Doris were 2 of about 100 people in the world who did not like the
book... we are sorry to hear of your pain and suffering.

Mick

. ..

Old 18-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Diane Mancino

I was the only one in the room to finish the movie- and I had a neutral
opinion. There was a 1 hr program last night on Nova on orchids- that was
ok, but I think because I read so much on the internet, it was just ok. It
was neat to see the hunt though and how the natives got involved. the huge
growing houses in Florida are HUGE! I'd love to see that in person.

Old 19-09-2003, 04:17 AM
tennis maynard

Sarah Huff wrote:

Hi all! Is there anyone out there who, like me, did not like Susan
Orleans' book The Orchid Thief? I disliked it so much that I didn't
bother finishing it. I thought Eric Hansen's book Orchid Fever was much
better.

Just curious.

Sarah

I'm a reader and have read literally thousands of books. In all that
time, I had put down three I couldn't finish. This one was SO boring and
poorly written it became #3 about half way through.

Old 19-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Sarah Huff

Hi there! I wasn't impressed by the quality of the writing, either. But I
teach other lawyers how to write, so I have pretty high standards. :-)

Sarah

Old 19-09-2003, 01:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Sarah Huff" wrote in message ...
Hi all! Is there anyone out there who, like me, did not like Susan
Orleans' book The Orchid Thief? I disliked it so much that I didn't
bother finishing it. I thought Eric Hansen's book Orchid Fever was much
better.

I found Orleans' authorial intrusions tiresome.

I agree about --Orchid Fever--.

J. Del Col (Who just finished --A Cactus Odyssey--, a very fine book
about botanizing in the wilds of South America.

Old 19-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Kye

Do you recommend that book to others or is it just a book to read.

Kye.

Old 19-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Diane Mancino

I did happen to buy a book yesterday- i know we have animal lovers here. "
the man who talked to dogs" I hope its good- at least the proceeds are going
to a shelter, so even if it wasn't that good it was reason to spend my $ on
it. Orchid Thief- glad it was free reading from the library.

Old 20-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Em

This was one bad book. It oozed badness out of every pore. I've read
better stuff on the sidewalls of automotive tires. Okay. Maybe it was
not that bad, but lord, it wasn't good.
Orlean's writing has little to recommend it. Aside from possibly
benefitting from a writing class or two, there is almost nothing to
say about her writing style. Dry as the Sahara, and no ability to
carry plot, the book consisted of strung-together nuggets of orchid
information with no organization. Orlean is clearly the same kid who
copied chapters out of the encyclopedia rather than do her own
research in grade school. The reiteration of minutae on Motes and
Fuchs gives the same merit to the work as packing peanuts do to a
parcel in the mail.
Boring, exploitative and simply poor writing do nothing to endear
either the author or her material, but the American Orchid Society
seems to have jumped on her tripe with both feet. All the more's the
shame. Orchid Fever by Hansen is a much more complete treatment of the
subject without the pulp. Hansen's flaw, if any, is that he actually
did research. Perhaps Orlean will give it a go if she gets past the
"close cover before striking" school of journalism.
Should have been printed on softer paper.