Old 13-07-2010, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default delway cut and come again cabbage?

g'day team,

coming from downunder.

very interested in this cabbage, available at irish seed savers but
they say they can't export outside the union.

any gardener have any ideas how we might source a supply of some seeds
please?

tia

--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 14-07-2010, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day sacha,

i don't think it is as bad as portrayed.

other gardeners do buy seeds from seed co's over seas, i used to ge
seedsrom canada and all we needed to do was declare them as seeds and
provide botanical name and common name for the seeds contained within
this info on each pack as well. that is why i don't understand the
irish seed co's stand does their stuff get monitored for which
countries it is going to? be an horrendous task possibly.

don't think we need to protect our borders from gardeners by and
large, 3 of our states prohibit the posting of live plant material to
them, but it happens, they have enough trouble sniffing out contraband
from o/seas let alone check all local mail.

the people who get caught at the border are ones who don't declare, if
declared they will rarely be knocked back on seeds and even some food
stuffs.

i worked in the p.o with the agencies there an eye opener on what they
let through.

thank you have a nice one

On 2010-07-13 23:35:22 +0100, gardenlen said:

g'day team,

coming from downunder.

very interested in this cabbage, available at irish seed savers but
they say they can't export outside the union.

any gardener have any ideas how we might source a supply of some seeds
please?

tia

Can anything can be sent to Australia or NZ without phytosanitary
certificates and a load of paper work? Sniffer dogs for apple cores
seem to indicate a certain caution!

Old 14-07-2010, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenlen" wrote ..
g'day team,

coming from downunder.

very interested in this cabbage, available at irish seed savers but
they say they can't export outside the union.

any gardener have any ideas how we might source a supply of some seeds
please?

Try another supplier......

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilt...?companyid=211

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...nformation.htm

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/index.html

I think they all send abroad.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-07-2010, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thanks bob,

that's a good list we will be checking them out.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:15:53 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
snipped

Old 14-07-2010, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day bob,

might need some help? on those sies you listed i have not been able to
find anything about the delway cabbage?

are you able to shed some light please?

tia

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:15:53 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

snipped

Old 14-07-2010, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenlen" wrote
might need some help? on those sies you listed i have not been able to
find anything about the delway cabbage?

are you able to shed some light please?

I only knew they exported seeds, didn't check to see if they sold it. Sorry.
BTW I think it's Delaway Cabbage not Delway.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-07-2010, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-07-13 23:35:22 +0100, gardenlen said:

g'day team,

coming from downunder.

very interested in this cabbage, available at irish seed savers but
they say they can't export outside the union.

any gardener have any ideas how we might source a supply of some seeds
please?

tia

Can anything can be sent to Australia or NZ without phytosanitary
certificates and a load of paper work? Sniffer dogs for apple cores seem
to indicate a certain caution!

--

Ain't that just the truth! My birthday parcel to Germany last year was a
long while arriving and when it finally got there it was bound up with
yellow tape "opened by Australia Post"
Yep, it went via Australia.
Inside it, amongst other things was a tiny packet of home-saved seeds that
my friend particularly wanted. It was wrapped in an inch square white paper
sealed with sellotape marked "goldlack" - the German word for wallflower.
I was a bit cross as they'd managed to break an Eeyore mug (she's a Winnie
fan) and there was no need to open it anyway as it was clearly addressed to
Germany, with my EU return address on, so there was nothing illegal going on
at all and the parcel had obviously gone astray.
They must have seed sniffer dogs too ;-)
So the chances of the OP getting a packet of seeds from outside Oz by asking
here would seem a bit remote.
Tina

Old 15-07-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day christina,

why someone in your postal system missorted your parcel to here? well
guess humans are involved.

but yes customs/quaranteen do inspect a lot of parcels, the term being
parcels not packets. los of gardeners inclucing myself have seeds sent
to us with no worries, so long as the seeds are identified by
botanical name. guess they would ahve x-rayed the parcel and the seeds
would have shown up as an organic item.

so once i find a source the rest will be easy.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:12:24 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

snipped

Old 15-07-2010, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day christina,

why someone in your postal system missorted your parcel to here? well
guess humans are involved.

but yes customs/quaranteen do inspect a lot of parcels, the term being
parcels not packets. los of gardeners inclucing myself have seeds sent
to us with no worries, so long as the seeds are identified by
botanical name. guess they would ahve x-rayed the parcel and the seeds
would have shown up as an organic item.

But what part of "this parcel is addressed to Germany from the UK" did
Australia Post not understand?
There was no reason to open it at all.

Old 15-07-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ok christina,

quaranteen and customs do not check parcel labels they just x-ray
them, so a whole bag of parcels or container of parcels will most
times be randomly selected.

so teh sender and destination details won't become important to their
investigation untill or unless they find something illigal.

the missort error will be corrected in the australia post mail sorting
area nothing to do with customs etc.,. your mail system made the
sorting error.

so there was no reason why brittish post i guess should have sent the
parcel to australia, can only imagine if it was missorted to the US.

you should have the right to claim any damage that occured on UK post
or whatever post you have.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:39:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"gardenlen" wrote in message
.. .

snipped