Old 15-07-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default re-itteraton - was: delaway cut and come again cabbage?

g'day team,

seems to be some consternation about posting seeds to australia, and
some seem to be inferring that australia is unique in protecting its
border, that is not so.

in G.B australian are treated as foreignors and have to go through
quaranteen and customs to enter the country that we are in the
commonwealth with. where germans and others just walk in like any G.B
citizen might.

anyway that aside seeds from other countries can be posted to
australia no worries, what is needed is the correct declaration, and
botanical name of each variety of seeds posted, too easy realy. i have
had it down, and have done it, like any aussie gardeners have.

all postal services have missorts, after all they aren't trained
monkies they are human beings sorting the mail, and it is also human
being addressing the mail, and when you see enough posted items you
will get a better understanding of how wrong they can get it, when
addressing it.

i too am only human as i spelt delaway as delway, tutt tutt hey lol?

from a retired middle manager/supervisor in australia post opperations
(mail centres).
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 16-07-2010, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

Certainly true that you can send seed, I often have as we can not send
plants, but you have to have the correct botanical spelling on the
outside of the package, if you miss spell it, it can get destroyed, but
all mine has always arrived safe. When you see some examples of plants
getting out of control in Australia and New Zealand you can understand
why they are a bit twitchy about letting gardeners import what they like!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 16-07-2010, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Charlie said
When you see some examples of plants
getting out of control in Australia and New Zealand you can
understand
why they are a bit twitchy about letting gardeners import what they
like!

When you see some examples of Australians getting out of control you
can understand why they have to go through quaranteen and customs to
enter the country
Though I doubt many do get quaranteened, but they do have to go
through imigration, (as does my wife as she is Canadian),
David
Old 16-07-2010, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenlen" wrote
seems to be some consternation about posting seeds to australia, and
some seem to be inferring that australia is unique in protecting its
border, that is not so.

It's the strictest place I've been with regard to fruit etc, even have
special bins to put it in. And then the sniffer dog comes along and smells
that bag you had the bananas in and all hell breaks loose. :-)

in G.B australian are treated as foreignors and have to go through
quaranteen and customs to enter the country that we are in the
commonwealth with. where germans and others just walk in like any G.B
citizen might.

I'm afraid the Commonwealth does not count for much these days, since we
became part of the EU. One of the reasons some of us don't like it,
especially if we have relatives in Commonwealth countries.

anyway that aside seeds from other countries can be posted to
australia no worries, what is needed is the correct declaration, and
botanical name of each variety of seeds posted, too easy realy. i have
had it down, and have done it, like any aussie gardeners have.

all postal services have missorts, after all they aren't trained
monkies they are human beings sorting the mail, and it is also human
being addressing the mail, and when you see enough posted items you
will get a better understanding of how wrong they can get it, when
addressing it.

i too am only human as i spelt delaway as delway, tutt tutt hey lol?

I mentioned it as if I had looked up the variety in those seed catalogues I
would not have found it, being a misspelt search. Such are computer
programs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-07-2010, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day bob

yes with food stuffs they are very strict, especially when it comes to
meat products, food that has been processed by a food processor and
packed will usually be allowed through again so long as it isn't meat.
our island status means we have been insulated from many animal borne
diseases.

banana's high on the list they won't even allow banana's into
queensland from anywhere else in australia. all because some greedy
banana farmer did the wrong thing, nothing to do with fruit from other
parts of aus'bringing anything in.

yes sadly our commonwealth ties have been somewhat modified hey? not
so sure the world is going to be a better place for it?

google usually asks if some other spelling is required, but so far all
help has been good to the point where my next search will be for
someone to buy seed and send it, just not sure how to cover costs?
postage not a big cost.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:35:23 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
snipped