Old 19-07-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yet another "get rid of snails" question

"mogga" wrote in message
On 19 Jul 2010 10:16:26 GMT, wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:
I really don't want to kill or hurt them so if I can "relocate" them
I'd
be happy. Failing that, is there some sort of contraption to put my
pots
and things on that they can't climb?
Nemaslug. http://www.nemasysinfo.com/slugs.shtml

Highly recommended, but that's hardly "not killing or hurting them"!

You don't see it happen.

Just saw my first slug this summer yesterday after having used it what
feels like months ago!
I'm wondering whether to get some more to save the sprouts being eaten
to death.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

The Nematodes die after about 6 weeks so reapplication is necessary,

Old 19-07-2010, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"gogo" wrote in message
On 19/07/2010 06:24, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
Is there a humane way of doing this? Some sort of trap so the live
snails can be emptied a long way away?

My plants are being mutilated every night, I'm managing to catch the
ones still there during the day (one planter had 14 baby snails in
it!) but I reckon there's a battalion of them that come out after dark.

I really don't want to kill or hurt them so if I can "relocate" them
I'd be happy. Failing that, is there some sort of contraption to put
my pots and things on that they can't climb?

Nemaslug. http://www.nemasysinfo.com/slugs.shtml

Do you have experience using Nemaslug against snails? It's never been
quite clear to me if this is working or not, and at least one shop I
found is saying: "Kills slugs and nothing else (please note it does not
control snails)".
I've tried once without any success, but being in Scotland, I think the
soil temperature was a bit too low. I'm willing to try again if this
could work....

Philippe, Edinburgh

I understand it's only effective against slugs. I still find occasional
snails.

I've read that it *might* kill the odd passing snail, but it's really only
effective on things below the surface.

I was right, there *is* a battalion of them coming out after dark, I went
out at 11 last night with a torch and there were dozens and dozens of slugs
and snails. I picked up quite a few, put them in a bucket and chucked them
into nearby woodland but I can only do about a dozen before they start
giving me the creeps! I would sling them over the fence next door but I've
read that they can find their way back over short distances. The corner of
the patio where my plants are, looked like Picadilly Circus.

I've given in and got some slug pellets (metaldehyde) which I'm going to lay
later on tonight, but as most of my best plants are in pots, I'm just going
to move them all onto a patio table in the evening and put them back next
morning, until the slimy things are under control. After picking them out of
the pots, of course.

I've also read that iron phosphate is effective, and safe for other animals
and people. Copper bands/tape around pots also seems highly regarded by some
people.

Old 19-07-2010, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Copper bands/tape around pots also seems highly
regarded by some people.

They scare elephants too
Old 19-07-2010, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-07-19, gogo wrote:

On 19/07/2010 06:24, Graham Harrison wrote:

Nemaslug. http://www.nemasysinfo.com/slugs.shtml

Do you have experience using Nemaslug against snails? It's never been
quite clear to me if this is working or not, and at least one shop I
found is saying: "Kills slugs and nothing else (please note it does not
control snails)".

The advertising I've seen says it works mainly on slugs and a bit on
snails, and that corresponds to my experience. I'm quite a fan of the
stuff (I also share it with my neighbours on both sides, since the
smallest pack covers a much bigger area than my garden).

I've tried once without any success, but being in Scotland, I think the
soil temperature was a bit too low. I'm willing to try again if this
could work....

Maybe try it later in the season when the soil has warmed up? (I'm
just guessing.)
Old 19-07-2010, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Copper bands/tape around pots also seems highly
regarded by some people.

They scare elephants too

I'm sure they're next for a chomp on my flowers.... ! First snails and
slugs, and a couple of hours ago, a cloud of flying ants. I'm going to build
a glass dome around my land

Old 19-07-2010, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Graham Harrison wrote:
Highly recommended, but that's hardly "not killing or hurting them"!

I take the view that what happens could happen anyway in nature, I'm just
increasing the odds that it will happen. I also feel the relocating the
slugs is ineffective and simply making my problem somebody else's problem
and I don't think that's fair.

I very much doubt it matters, all in all. For every one you catch there are
lots more that you never see. Personally I tend to throw them on the
compost - figure if I give them all they can eat buffet, they won't want my
tomatoes or strawberries!

The only thing I have against Nemaslug is the cost!

Depends on how attached to your veg you are!
Old 19-07-2010, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I've also read that iron phosphate is effective, and safe for other animals
and people. Copper bands/tape around pots also seems highly regarded by some
people.

I copper-taped my aubgerines last year and didnt' get a single nibble on
them. However, it /is/ expensive. As I said, stripped old electric wire is
what my neighbour uses in her hostas.
Old 24-07-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/2010 22:21, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Is there a humane way of doing this? Some sort of trap so the live
snails can be emptied a long way away?

My plants are being mutilated every night, I'm managing to catch the
ones still there during the day (one planter had 14 baby snails in it!)
but I reckon there's a battalion of them that come out after dark.

I really don't want to kill or hurt them so if I can "relocate" them I'd
be happy. Failing that, is there some sort of contraption to put my pots
and things on that they can't climb?

I had the same problem - hostas were a right mess due to snails.
I have tried all the 'usual' methods to stop them with no success
I then came across an article about using a garlic wash to deter slugs
and snails (apparently they hate it!)which I have used for the last 2
years with great (although not complete!) success.

'Get two bulbs of garlic, and smoosh them with a rolling pin...take out
your frustration on them. Put them in 2 pints of water, and simmer for
one hour. Let the liquid cool, and strain into a container. Use one
tablespoon of the liquid to one gallon of water. Use first thing in
spring as the hostas are peeking through the ground. One use of this is
supposed to be sufficient, but I use it maybe every two months'

I tend to make it a bit stronger and use it every week and it seems to
work fine.

TIP: it makes one hell of a stink so keep the kitchen door open when
making it!!

Jeff
NE England
Old 25-07-2010, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jeff taylor" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't tried this, but why simmer for an hour? The active principle of
garlic is volatile and will be at least partially driven off by heat, so
wasting some of what you are trying to use.

Why not skin the garlic cloves, and then liquidise them with a litre of
ice-cold water (which should keep the smell down a little!). Put the liquid
in an ice-cube tray and freeze it (similarly to what is done with fresh
herbs), and store the frozen cubes in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then
when you need to use the garlic solution on your hostas, just take out a
cube and let it melt into a gallon of water.

--

Jeff