Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default saw snails on plants in LFS, how to get rid?

I came a ccross this LFS that had some really beautiful plants in them! But
they have a slight snail problem. How can I buy the plants and ensure that
no eggs (do they lay eggs?) will be left on the leaves when I manually pick
the snails off? Is there a snailacide or a disinfectant? I know that clown
loaches eat snails but I've seen them eat chunks from some plants in this
newsgroup, and I don't have room for the tykes anyways.

Thanx!! Dave.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Great, thanx Jason!

"Jason Judkins" wrote in message
When you buy the plants, dip them a few times in a salt water solution

(like
26% salinity (i.e. reef tank conditions)) then rinse the plants off... The
salt will kill the snails pretty quickly, and won't hurt the plant at all.
My LFS does this for me when I buy the plant... ask them to do it for you,
they shouldn't have a problem with it.

-Jason

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Bigs

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

I came a ccross this LFS that had some really beautiful plants in them! But
they have a slight snail problem. How can I buy the plants and ensure that
no eggs (do they lay eggs?) will be left on the leaves when I manually pick
the snails off? Is there a snailacide or a disinfectant? I know that clown
loaches eat snails but I've seen them eat chunks from some plants in this
newsgroup, and I don't have room for the tykes anyways.

Thanx!! Dave.

Well, get a Zebra Loach my friend! They don't harm plants and they will be
happy to take care of your snails! Sure did the trick in my tank! He's also
fun to watch! If you get one, buy an active one!

Marc