Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
FishyFred

Default How to Get Rid of Small Snails

There is some useful information about getting rid of small snails on
AquariumFish.net at

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...all_snails.htm

There is a discussion about the same problem on PetFishTalk.com at

http://media1.select.net/wsradioarch...ium1080702.wma

I hope this information helps you.

FishFred
Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"FishyFred" wrote in message
om...
There is some useful information about getting rid of small snails on
AquariumFish.net at

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...all_snails.htm

There is a discussion about the same problem on PetFishTalk.com at

http://media1.select.net/wsradioarch...ium1080702.wma

I hope this information helps you.

FishFred

Thanks FishFred...

....just what I need these days ;-)

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Mentaloid

Well - all this info is great - although I have in rather... odd situation.
I have a tank in which I have some large snails I would like to keep - I
don't want to kill them. However, there is also an infestation of small
(really small - hundreds of babies that never grow up) snails. I wouldn't
mind this so much as my loaches get the ones in the tank. The problem is
these suckers keep getting into my canister filter and breeding like crazy
in there - I can't find a way to eliminate this problem. I don't want to use
chemicals cause 1, they will hurt my plants, 2 they will kill my good snails
(3"). And of course I can't put a loach in the canister filter. Any Idea's?

"Marvin Hlavac" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 AM
NetMax

Backwash your canister periodically. The snails which can get in, are
very small, and would live between the first coarse media and the bottom
of the canister. Put a T section in the supply hose leading to the
canister. Install shut-off valves in the supply side going to the T, and
again in the T leading to a short bleeder hose. Weekly, turn off the
filter, close the supply side valve and open the valve to your bleeder
hose to a pail. The water will run through the filter in reverse (from
the return hose, backwards through the media and to the bleeder hose into
the pail), cleaning any coarse bits clogging the filter, and dumping out
most of the snails collected. Periodic backwashing will also greatly
extend the time between breaking down the canister, to the point where
you may forget exactly how to do it ;o) hth

NetMax

"Mentaloid" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

The problem is
these suckers keep getting into my canister filter and breeding like crazy
in there - I can't find a way to eliminate this problem.

Have you tried putting a foam prefilter on the intake? I got a cylindrical
foam prefilter from Pet Solutions that fits perfectly over my Eheim intake, and
it's great at keeping junk out of my filter, including snails. With an
adaptor, it also fits over the intake to my Aquaclear (on another tank),
keeping snails out there, too.

It was only a few dollars -- probably the best dollars I ever spent. I rinse
the prefilter every other week or so, and only have to clean the Eheim media
every six months or so.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Jenya

Contrary to what seems to be a common opinion, I find snails living inside
of my canister filter to be beneficial.
The first time I noticed snails in the filter was when I did a regular
cleaning maintenance and was surprised
that the foam meadia doesn't have a usual amount of dirt in it. Even
squezing and flushing it under the stream of water didn't produce any
visible dirt. The foam media stays very clean. I don't have to do nearly as
much cleaning as I used to.

--
Jenya
Computers are useless. They can only give answers.-Pablo Picasso

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
LeighMo

Contrary to what seems to be a common opinion, I find snails living inside
of my canister filter to be beneficial.

I don't mind them living in the filter media, but I don't want them getting
into the impeller. Not only does it make a racket, but it can damage the
filter.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Marvin Hlavac

"Jenya" wrote in message
Contrary to what seems to be a common opinion, I find snails living inside
of my canister filter to be beneficial.
The first time I noticed snails in the filter was when I did a regular
cleaning maintenance and was surprised
that the foam meadia doesn't have a usual amount of dirt in it. Even
squezing and flushing it under the stream of water didn't produce any
visible dirt. The foam media stays very clean. I don't have to do nearly as
much cleaning as I used to.

--
Jenya

Do they have babies in the filter? Do they come from the filter out to your
aquarium?

--
Marvin
hlavac (at) rogers (dot) com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Jody

Default Snails

If you saw "a couple", and they are ramshorn, you will soon have many more.
Ramshorns are prolific breeders. Mine are pretty harmless.

Jody

"Stuart Mueller" wrote in message
. ..
Can anybody recommend what snails to have in my gourami tank. I am

thinking
trumpet snails. I want to avoid the apple snails as they sound like they

get
too big. As far as I've found out pond snails are a big no-no.

I think I have spotted a couple of Ramshorn snails in at the moment, I

took
one out yesterday, it had a dark brown shell in a tight curl, it wasn't
trumpet shaped but rather round and the snail was stuck to the front

glass.
However I have read that these relish hygrophilia, which I have quite a

bit
of =(

So the only other one I can get is trumpet, unless there is another type.

do
the trumpet snails eat algae, or left over food? I know they burrow

through
the substrate.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Stu

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Wilma Duncan

The Malaysian trumpet snails do not harm plants or fish. Great for cleaning
and airing the substrate. Mystery snails are good also. See my web site
about info on snails.
Wilma
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/

Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Stuart Mueller

I am about to try my hand at breeding gouramis, and would like to add a few
snails to my fry tank, to help with keeping it clean, (I've read some
breeders do this) would MTS's be alright in a fry tank or will they eat the
fry? would Ramshorns be better, which ever one I add to the fry tank I want
to keep in my main tank initially!

Thanks

Stu