Old 19-07-2010, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pruning tree with electrical saw

We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After being
knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating type
saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on line
catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...IPROCATING+SAW

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into *green*
wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? Thanks.

Old 19-07-2010, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
john hamilton wrote:
We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After being
knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating type
saws would be the answer.

What kind of a saw are you using? If the answer isn't a 30" bowsaw
with a newish blade, then the answer is to get one. A 24" is a LOT
more effort and a 20" is just a joke for such use - back in the days
before all professionals used chainsaws, they often used 36" ones.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
geo geo is offline

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:37:07 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into *green*
wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? Thanks.

No personal experience - but I suspect they would not be happy cutting green
wood.
May I suggest you also enquire in uk.d-i-y where power tools are "the thing".

--
Geo
Old 19-07-2010, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john hamilton" wrote in message
We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type
tree. After being knocked out with all the sawing we thought
one of the reciprocating type saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on
line catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...IPROCATING+SAW

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting
into *green* wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular
one? Thanks.

Unless you can buy a blade suitable for green wood forget it.
Personally I would hire a chain saw, but I know many folk are not
confident in using one safely. Why not hire a big bow saw? Fitted
with a new blade they cut green wood with surprising ease.

Mike

Old 19-07-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

Unless you can buy a blade suitable for green wood forget it.
Personally I would hire a chain saw, but I know many folk are not
confident in using one safely. Why not hire a big bow saw? Fitted
with a new blade they cut green wood with surprising ease.

I doubt that is possible - it's certainly not worth it. A decent
bow saw is 10-25 quid and new blades are 2-5 quid. Hiring one
would be as much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-07-2010, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"john hamilton" wrote:

We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After being
knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating type
saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on line
catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...storeId=10001&
catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=RECIPROCATING+SAW

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into *green*
wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? Thanks.

For a one-off job it might be better to hire it. There are plenty of
hire shops in yellow pages.

Michael Bell

Old 19-07-2010, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john hamilton" wrote ...
We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After
being knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating
type saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on line
catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...IPROCATING+SAW

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into
*green* wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? Thanks.

I'd go for hiring a chainsaw but then I've used one before, can be
frightening to use (quite rightly).

A cheap new bow saw would be a good alternative...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79007/...-30-762mmCheap enough and probably last the job.--RegardsBob HobdenW.of London. UK
Old 19-07-2010, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"john hamilton" wrote ...
We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After
being knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating
type saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on line
catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...IPROCATING+SAW

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into
*green* wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? Thanks.

I'd go for hiring a chainsaw but then I've used one before, can be
frightening to use (quite rightly).

A cheap new bow saw would be a good alternative...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79007/...-30-762mmCheap
enough and probably last the job

Link should be....

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79007/...w-Saw-30-762mm Wonder why it posted all closed up? Strange.--RegardsBob HobdenW.of London. UK
Old 19-07-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

I'd go for hiring a chainsaw but then I've used one before, can be
frightening to use (quite rightly).

There are times when "This one will see you out." is not really
what you want to hear.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 19-07-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Used a cheap reciprocating saw from Screwfix with a decent Bosch
greenwood blade to strip branches of 49 leylandii. Using a cheaper
blade I cut through roots after digging away soil, Used the stripped
trunk to lever them out of ground and then cut of root ball from trunk
(4" - 5" dia) coped with the lot without a problem. Used about six
cheap blades cutting through roots (hit the odd stone) and only one
decent blade for the rest of the work.
Old 19-07-2010, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 19, 4:43*pm, John wrote:
Used a cheap reciprocating saw from Screwfix with a decent Bosch
greenwood blade to strip branches of 49 leylandii. *Using a cheaper
blade I cut through roots after digging away soil, Used the stripped
trunk to lever them out of ground and then cut of root ball from trunk
(4" - 5" dia) coped with the lot without a problem. Used about six
cheap blades cutting through roots (hit the odd stone) and only one
decent blade for the rest of the work.

Just as an add on to my previous post. The saw cost £49 a year ago,
cheap blades where £7 for a pack of ten and the Bosch blades where £8
for five.
Saw is still going strong, four cheap blades and four good blades left
(cheapies are good for chopping up palllets for fire wood) All blades
are for green or rough timber by the way.

John
Old 19-07-2010, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 July, 12:13, "Muddymike" wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message

We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type
tree. After being knocked out with all the sawing we thought
one of the reciprocating type saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on
line catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...?storeId=10001....

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting
into *green* wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular
one? * *Thanks.

Unless you can buy a blade suitable for green wood forget it.
Personally I would hire a chain saw, but I know many folk are not
confident in using one safely. Why not hire a big bow saw? Fitted
with a new blade they cut green wood with surprising ease.

Mike

A lot of hire shops won't hire out chainsaws for 'elf & safety reasons
Old 19-07-2010, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 July, 09:37, "john hamilton" wrote:
We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After being
knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating type
saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on line
catalogue.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...?storeId=10001....

In the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into *green*
wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? * *Thanks.

Electric chainsaw is much more effective.