Old 20-07-2010, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mushrooms in the lawn

Hello,

I suddenly have mushrooms growing in the lawn. Is there a way of killing
them permanently ?

Thanks

KK

Old 20-07-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
dido22 wrote:

I suddenly have mushrooms growing in the lawn. Is there a way of killing
them permanently ?

No. Why bother?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
PtePike wrote:

I suddenly have mushrooms growing in the lawn. Is there a way of killing
them permanently ?

No. Why bother?

Why bother?
Many people like their lawns a bit like a bowling green.

True. Let's skip the question of whether they should be recommended
to use a fungicide or psychotherapy :-)

I am not one of those but if you have children knocking around the lawn I
feel safer knowing exactly what is in my garden and lawn.

If you think that you do, you don't. Sorry, but ....

For example I have a ring of fungi which sometimes grows at this time of
year and they are as a collective called "fairy rings"
Now these can be potentially fatal.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-
recreation/how/mushrooms/poisonous-mushrooms

I would rather be safe now than sorry later.

Oh, God - that's a dumb page even by Merkin standards :-(

The most common 'fairy ring' mushroom in the UK is, in fact, edible.
It is also a complete delusion that you are protecting children
by destroying such things (even if you could), as the most important
lesson that they can learn is that the world is not set up to protect
them from their own idiocies.

In order to eliminate such fungi from a lawn, you have to use large
amounts of chemicals that are almost certainly FAR more toxic than
the fungi! And illegal for domestic use. And, even then, the
elimination will probably not be permanent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 July, 13:30, PtePike wrote:
wrote :

In article ,
dido22 wrote:

I suddenly have mushrooms growing in the lawn. Is there a way of killing
them permanently ?

No. *Why bother?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Why bother?
Many people like their lawns a bit like a bowling green.

I am not one of those but if you have children knocking around the lawn I
feel safer knowing exactly what is in my garden and lawn.

For example I have a ring of fungi which sometimes grows at this time of
year and they are as a collective called "fairy rings"
Now these can be potentially fatal.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-
recreation/how/mushrooms/poisonous-mushrooms

I would rather be safe now than sorry later.

Thanks
PtePike

You garden is full of deadly plants. Even the veggie garden. Rhubarb
leaves potato leaves, tomatoe leaves.
Carnations, daffodils, hyacinth, tulip, ageratum, hellebore,
oleander.
Weeds too like ragwort, nightshade.
Shrubs, laurel, yew, leylandii, privet.

These plants are poisonous, some are deadly.
So get real. Get your kids trained up not to put things in their
mouths.
Nature has been conducting a chemical warefare agianst getting eaten
by herbivores for millions of years. We are not even herbivores &
stand no chance against these chemical weapons.

Old 20-07-2010, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

On 20 July, 13:30, PtePike wrote:
wrote :

In article ,
dido22 wrote:

[...]

Sorry to have rattled your cage.

regards
PtePike
Old 20-07-2010, 07:45 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtePike[_3_] View Post
[email]

Why bother?
Many people like their lawns a bit like a bowling green.

I am not one of those but if you have children knocking around the lawn I
feel safer knowing exactly what is in my garden and lawn.
I would rather be safe now than sorry later.
Very sensible. I expect you have already removed all the daffodils from your garden, and the lily of the of the valley, oh, and the rhubarb, and the ivy, and ...
Old 21-07-2010, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

PtePike wrote in
:
I am not one of those but if you have children knocking around the
lawn I feel safer knowing exactly what is in my garden and lawn.

In that case you are probably doomed to be perpetually worried.
If you're not worried then you don't understant what's in your
garden.

I presume you've uprooted all trees (in case they climb
them dangerously), removed potatoes and tomatoes (solanine),
locked up the power tools, secateurs, bowsaws, shears, ponds,
streams (drowning, frogs/toads). Oh, and don't forget to
remove the hallucinogens from the kitchen (nutmeg).

The list is endless, and trying to wrap them in cotton wool
is beguiling but is *more* dangerous in the long run.

Far better to teach them to understand what they don't know,
and to act appropriately cautiously.

For example I have a ring of fungi which sometimes grows at this time
of year and they are as a collective called "fairy rings"
Now these can be potentially fatal.

There are many fairy-ring fungi. Some are "edible and
delicious", some aren't.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-
recreation/how/mushrooms/poisonous-mushrooms

That's so vague and non-comprehensive as to be useless.

I would rather be safe now than sorry later.

If you try too hard to be safe now then you will be sorry
later. Either the little darlings will completely reject
being mollycoddled, or will become fearful of the world,
or won't learn how to recognise potential dangers in a
contrained environment (and will learn then the very
hard way in the real world)
Old 21-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dido22 View Post
I suddenly have mushrooms growing in the lawn. Is there a way of killing them permanently ?
Can't be guaranteed, but if you generally adopt the high chemical/energy approach to lawncare (regular weedkillers and fertilisers, water well, mow frequently), you will have fewer of these things. I don't like doing that precisely because I like the mushrooms and wildflowers.
Old 21-07-2010, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tom wrote in
.253:

PtePike wrote in
:
[...]

dont be silly

Old 21-07-2010, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip

The subject of fairy rings on the lawn used to crop up on the newsgroup
years ago. People of my generation used to stand in the middle and make a
wish, many of the guys used to wish for Charlie Dimmock I am not telling
you what I wished for :-)))

kate

in sunny Gloucestershire

Old 21-07-2010, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Kate Morgan wrote:

snip

The subject of fairy rings on the lawn used to crop up on the
newsgroup years ago. People of my generation used to stand in the
middle and make a wish, many of the guys used to wish for Charlie
Dimmock

It's Alys Fowler these days ;-)

--
Chris
Old 21-07-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 July, 10:28, "CT" wrote:
Kate Morgan wrote:
snip

The subject of fairy rings on the lawn used to crop up on the
newsgroup years ago. People of my generation used to stand in the
middle and make a wish, many of the guys used to wish for Charlie
Dimmock *

It's Alys Fowler these days ;-)

{googles} OK, fair enough. But she doesn't have Charlie's obvious
advantages.
Old 21-07-2010, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , dido22
writes
Hello,

I suddenly have mushrooms growing in the lawn. Is there a way of
killing them permanently ?

Thanks

KK

Not that I am aware of. Fungi can appear for a variety of reasons. The
biggest nuisances are those which proceed to kill of the grass inside
the ring.
Just keep destroying them as fast as they appear.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 22-07-2010, 09:02 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Thee's no point in destroying them except for aesthetic reasons. The fungus you see is simply the 'fruit'. The 'plant' is underground, so taking off the 'fruit' will have no impact on that. It won't even make a significant difference to the number of fungus spores in the air.