Old 30-07-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Psssttt...wanna buy a courgette?

Aries wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:11:22 +0100, David WE Roberts wrote:

Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

LOL, I have a glut of em too but finding lots of ways to use them. Today
it's Courgette Chutney

What am I doing wrong? I have 4 plants and few courgettes. In fact one
has produced none at all, only male flowers! We love them, never have
any spare! Certainly now this year, though maybe the courgette fairy is
waiting to pounce!
Old 30-07-2010, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Aries wrote:

snip
What am I doing wrong? I have 4 plants and few courgettes. In fact one has
produced none at all, only male flowers! We love them, never have any
spare! Certainly now this year, though maybe the courgette fairy is
waiting to pounce!

All but one of our plants are at the allotment.
The most vigorous settled in straight away.
The one next to it has only just started producing fully.
The two (supposed to be yellow) that went in a few weeks later are lagging
behind again - one is starting to produce but the other is still not really
doing much.
They have all been planted with plenty of food and organic material, however
the lack of rain has been a big problem.
I think that they only really get into their stride when the roots get far
enough down to get a steady supply of moisture.
At that point they take off.
The recent heavy rain is probably the reason that nearly everyone suddenly
has loads of courgettes.

As far as I can tell, the sign that they are happy is when the leaves
develop a very dark green colour with a grey mottling around the veins.
Just been out to check this on the one in a pot on the patio (which I have
promptly watered).

If they are looking unhappy then try to over water them.
You shouldn't be able to but this might give them a boost.
If they are pale green, then feed them.

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 30-07-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

LOL I could eat them every day and as yet haven't had to... (the
neighbours are happy to snaffle up the ones I don't want too)

Now rats tail radish is another matter - want a lorry load?
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 30-07-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

LOL I could eat them every day and as yet haven't had to... (the
neighbours are happy to snaffle up the ones I don't want too)

Now rats tail radish is another matter - want a lorry load?

You can send me some seeds if you like. I grew those a few years ago, and
haven't seen the seeds locally since.

Steve

Old 31-07-2010, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:29:31 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

LOL I could eat them every day and as yet haven't had to... (the
neighbours are happy to snaffle up the ones I don't want too)

Now rats tail radish is another matter - want a lorry load?

You can send me some seeds if you like. I grew those a few years ago, and
haven't seen the seeds locally since.

Steve

email me your address and I'll put some in the post for you!
I saved tons from last year and despite giving lots away have still
got a large bag full
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:29:31 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Ooh ta, I'll do that.