Old 29-07-2010, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Psssttt...wanna buy a courgette?

Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 29-07-2010, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2010 20:11, David WE Roberts wrote:
Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

Sounds like you are in the market for some courgettes ;-) I'll have a
van load delivered to your house tomorrow for £1.

It's either glut or none with 'em. The freezer is already full of
chopped frozen courgettes to make soup with over winter. Blink and
you've got a full sized naval torpedo growing.

Last year mosaic virus stopped them all dead in their track after
harvesting a handful. Overrun with them this year already.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 29-07-2010, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
[...]

I'm up for some in the post ;-), mine failed (they always do) through slugs
or something else, I know not what.
Tina

Old 29-07-2010, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2010 19:11, David WE Roberts wrote:
Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

LOL!
Up here in Derbyshire we have the same problem with damsons.
Jill
Old 29-07-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
On 29/07/2010 19:11, David WE Roberts wrote:
Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

You're a hard man, I can see that.
Best and final offer, here's £5 if you take this bag full.

What, bloke down the road offered you £10?

[A bit like trying to rehome kittens at the moment....]

LOL!
Up here in Derbyshire we have the same problem with damsons.
Jill

My damsons are not quite ready yet, I have a lot of damson trees, what do
you do with yours? Damson crumble, damson gin?
Tina

Old 29-07-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2010 20:59, Christina Websell wrote:
"David in wrote in message
[...]

OK, I'll send you fifty or so as an email attachment to keep you going
for a while. ;-)

You might be less keen if you knew what magic liquid feed I've given
them this year! I've been watering the vegetables with pee diluted to
around 1/20 and I've never had such a huge crop of courgettes,
mange-tout and potatoes. Unfortunately the brassicas are thus far a
disaster - the broccoli has had only tiny heads and these have run to
seed very quickly. Probably due to the lack of rain since they had less
hand watering than the other crops.

Old 29-07-2010, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:
"Jill Bell" wrote in message

Up here in Derbyshire we have the same problem with damsons.

My damsons are not quite ready yet, I have a lot of damson trees, what do
you do with yours? Damson crumble, damson gin?

Mine are a way off, but I will have LOADS. Good things include:

Damson crumble, Queen Claude's ribbons (but with damsons), damson
chutney, damson jelly, damson and walnut jam, damson cheese, etc.
Most plum recipes work, but damsons have a MUCH stronger flavour.
Pureed damson freezes well, and can be made up into anything
relevant, including fruit sauces for both meat and pudding.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:
"Jill Bell" wrote in message
.. .

Up here in Derbyshire we have the same problem with damsons.

My damsons are not quite ready yet, I have a lot of damson trees, what do
you do with yours? Damson crumble, damson gin?

Mine are a way off, but I will have LOADS.

So will I!

Good things include:

Damson crumble, Queen Claude's ribbons (but with damsons),

what is that?

damson
chutney, damson jelly, damson and walnut jam, damson cheese, etc.
Most plum recipes work, but damsons have a MUCH stronger flavour.
Pureed damson freezes well, and can be made up into anything
relevant, including fruit sauces for both meat and pudding.

Person in Leics will swap damsons for courgettes ;p)

Tina

Old 29-07-2010, 10:34 PM posted to alt.bread.recipes,uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

Ha ha.. know how you feel.

Courgette bread will use at least some of them. Freezes really well too. A
fine savoury crusty bread with an unusual pale green crumb - very showy for
light lunches, toasts and sandwiches. Non english-speakers call it zuccini
bread.

You will find a few recipes if you google but I will tell you how I think it
is best made:

Raw courgette to retain the maximum nutrition and flavour, and to cut out
any fussy pre cooking. Minimum water and maximum veg, because the courgette
is never going to be an overwhelming flavour and you want to use them up.
The ingredients of basic white bread are flour , water, yeast and salt. All
we are doing is replacing as much of the water as we can with raw courgette
pulp. Makes one large or two small loaves.

Take at least 400g courgettes, wash, top and tail then finely grate in a
processor or by hand retaining all the juice. Put the bowl of your overhead
mixer on your scales and zero them. Weigh in 500g white bread flour. Add 1
tsp salt and 1 tsp fast acting yeast. Mix the dry ingredients with a spoon
and zero the scale again. Add 370g grated raw courgette and using the
mixer's dough hook begin to mix into a dough. Add water a tablespoon at a
time until it is all mixed together into a stiff bread dough. Leave it in
the bowl covered, to rise for a hour or two giving it a stir with a spatula
if it tries to climb out of the bowl. Turn the mixture (which now may be wet
and sticky)out onto a floured surface and fold or knead and divide and shape
into two small loaves. Place the loaves on a piece of baking parchment on a
baking sheet and sprinkle plenty of white flour on them. Leave the loaves to
rise for around 45mins, then slash the tops with a bread knife and bake at
200C for 30 mins. Cool on a rack.

For variations use a bit of lemon juice, add freshly ground black pepper,
finish the top with grated cheese instead of flour.

Tim W

Old 29-07-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
I'm up for some in the post ;-), mine failed (they always do) through slugs
or something else, I know not what.

Ooh, looks like we could make a list of people to match up, gluts to
failures! I think I should get the poster from Cambridge unles anyone's
nearer him ... who's up for delivering their glut to Tina ... ?

Old 29-07-2010, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Up here in Derbyshire we have the same problem with damsons.

My damsons are not quite ready yet, I have a lot of damson trees, what do
you do with yours? Damson crumble, damson gin?

There's lots of tiny plums growing almost-wild (street and field lining
trees) round here, I was pondering making redcurrant + plum jam.
Old 29-07-2010, 11:18 PM posted to alt.bread.recipes,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Tim W wrote:
Courgette bread will use at least some of them. Freezes really well too. A
fine savoury crusty bread with an unusual pale green crumb - very showy for
light lunches, toasts and sandwiches. Non english-speakers call it zuccini
bread.

One of my favourite uses is to grate it into cake + muffin mix - produces a
batch of impressively green sweet snacks.
Old 30-07-2010, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I remember posting this link about this time last year
Courgette and cumin soup . . . Mmmmm. . .
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0423n5.html
R.

Old 30-07-2010, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article W%v4o.424$GU3.257@hurricane, says...

I remember posting this link about this time last year
Courgette and cumin soup . . . Mmmmm. . .
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0423n5.html
R.

Shall try that

This is a fantastic chocolate cake (with courgettes)

http://www.riverford.co.uk/cook/reci...rts/chocolate-
courgette-cake/

Janet