Old 29-07-2010, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cherry Trees

Thinking of buying a couple of Cherry Trees for our allotment, need to be on
a dwarfing rootstock so they grow as bushes (Trees not allowed) so probably
Gisella 5 rootstock, but which varieties do you suggest from experience?
We like/want dark red dessert cherries.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-07-2010, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 July, 23:11, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Thinking of buying a couple of Cherry Trees for our allotment, need to be on
a dwarfing rootstock so they grow as bushes (Trees not allowed) so probably
Gisella 5 rootstock, but which varieties do you suggest from experience?
We like/want dark red dessert cherries.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

You won't get a single cherry unless you think about how you're going
to keep the birds off. I have five sorts of cherry but hardly see one
of them.
BTW many cherries are not self fertile.
Old 30-07-2010, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
Thinking of buying a couple of Cherry Trees for our allotment, need to be
on
a dwarfing rootstock so they grow as bushes (Trees not allowed) so
probably
Gisella 5 rootstock, but which varieties do you suggest from experience?
We like/want dark red dessert cherries.

You won't get a single cherry unless you think about how you're going
to keep the birds off. I have five sorts of cherry but hardly see one
of them.
BTW many cherries are not self fertile.

Bushes help in that respect, at about 6ft tall it's easy to net them and
two bushes should provide pollination to each other provided I get the
correct varieties, although most for sale now are self-fertile.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"harry" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
Thinking of buying a couple of Cherry Trees for our allotment, need to
be on
a dwarfing rootstock so they grow as bushes (Trees not allowed) so
probably
Gisella 5 rootstock, but which varieties do you suggest from experience?
We like/want dark red dessert cherries.

You won't get a single cherry unless you think about how you're going
to keep the birds off. I have five sorts of cherry but hardly see one
of them.
BTW many cherries are not self fertile.

Bushes help in that respect, at about 6ft tall it's easy to net them and
two bushes should provide pollination to each other provided I get the
correct varieties, although most for sale now are self-fertile.

Having not received any suggestions I have decided on, Lapins and Sunburst,
both on Gisela 5 rootstock. Both are self-fertile but will cross pollinate
also giving a better fruit set.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

apple trees gone? cherry trees coming? mm Lawns 3 24-12-2006 10:38 PM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
Volunteer cherry trees WP Edible Gardening 0 08-07-2003 06:08 AM
Cherry Trees tippy1 Edible Gardening 5 22-05-2003 04:08 PM
fruits on ornamental cherry trees? Lil Gardening 5 13-05-2003 06:32 AM