Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default De-liming soil

All plants need calcium (lime), but some of the ones we particularly like
can't survive with more than trace amounts. We also know that soil that
contains some lime, but not too much, gets depleted if you repeatedly
harvest stuff and don't make good the deficiency.

Hence my question: what plants would most rapidly deplete soil that contains
just a a bit too much lime for rhododendrons and suchlike? A politically
correct approach could be to plant the right kinds of veggies between the
bushes. Possibly someone might be able to propose a more practical approach,
for example a method of preparing batches of low-lime soil.

Regards

Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Aug, 21:53, "Daddy Tadpole" wrote:
All plants need calcium (lime), but some of the ones we particularly like
can't survive with more than trace amounts. We also know that soil that
contains some lime, but not too much, gets depleted if you repeatedly
harvest stuff and don't make good the deficiency.

Hence my question: what plants would most rapidly deplete soil that contains
just a a bit too much lime for rhododendrons and suchlike? A politically
correct approach could be to plant the right kinds of veggies between the
bushes. Possibly someone might be able to propose a more practical approach,
for example a method of preparing batches of low-lime soil.

Regards

Lime in soil is removed by rainwater which is acid due to dissolved
CO2 and by rotted plant material which also is acid.
If the soil is naturally limey (ie the subsoil is limestone or chalk),
then it very gradually subsides and caves are formed.
If the soil sandstone based it will be naturally neutral but rainfall
will make it acid (or rotted plant material) & lime may be needed for
most plants. But it has to be renewed. If it isn't, it will just
revert to it's true nature after a while. I can't think of a way of
accelerating this process.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

The idea was that if your soil contains a bit too much lime (but not too
much), it should be possible to get rid of some of it relatively rapidly by
growing lime-snaffling stuff you can eat or put on the compost. The cabbage
family would be candidates except that they would be likely to stop growing
properly before the soil gets as depleted as you want. Whatever ones'
impression at a given moment, it doesn't rain enough to make much
difference...

trying to grow things that are a bit way out for the environment you have.
Otherwise, you could just let those lush indigenous weeds take over
completely.

Regards
Regards

Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Tadpole View Post

trying to grow things that are a bit way out for the environment you have.
I don't think Janet said anything about political correctness.

I assumed she was simply talking practicalities.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/08/2010 21:31, Daddy Tadpole wrote:

[...]

It is probably easier to make a patch of almost pure composted material,
leaf mould and peat free compost to put your lime haters in. There are
some rhododenrdons that will tolerate a bit of lime - so if you choose
wisely you could grow them.

It is worth doing a pH test on the soil to see how far out it is.

trying to grow things that are a bit way out for the environment you
have. Otherwise, you could just let those lush indigenous weeds take
over completely.

It is always interesting to grow things that don't really match your
conditions (eg too tender) - but be prepared for a few failures.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 10-08-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

It is probably easier to make a patch of almost pure composted
material, leaf mould and peat free compost to put your lime haters
in. There are some rhododenrdons that will tolerate a bit of lime -
so if you choose wisely you could grow them.

It is worth doing a pH test on the soil to see how far out it is.

This is a good case for a raised bed or two. A variation in height can
do wonders for a garden design, so two birds with one stone.

--
Mike.

Old 13-08-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry Janet, but political correctness really has infected gardening, like
so many other activities. time for a rant.

For example, in the old books alpine gardens used to be considered an
interesting challenge. Nowadays, I suppose that, notwithstanding hosepipe
bans, and if an ex-Sheffielder is still allowed to comment on Mancunian
rainfall (a nonrenewable resource of course), a rockery in that fair city
might well attract a bit of neighbourly tut-tutting.

In fact my unanswered question was quite straightforward and politically
neutral: knowing that crops tend to deplete the vegetable plot of lime,
which are the best ones to plant if that's what you want to achieve?

Regards

"Janet" a écrit dans le message de
In article ,
says...

about
trying to grow things that are a bit way out for the environment you
have.
Otherwise, you could just let those lush indigenous weeds take over
completely.

So sorry to have upset you by offering advice, it won't happen again.

Janet

Old 14-08-2010, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Daddy Tadpole wrote:
Sorry Janet, but political correctness really has infected gardening,
like so many other activities. time for a rant.

For example, in the old books alpine gardens used to be considered an
interesting challenge. Nowadays, I suppose that, notwithstanding
hosepipe bans, and if an ex-Sheffielder is still allowed to comment
on Mancunian rainfall (a nonrenewable resource of course), a rockery
in that fair city might well attract a bit of neighbourly tut-tutting.

Sorry: I can be very dense, so bear with me. What exactly do you
speculate would be the political reasons for tut-tutting about a
rock-garden?
[...]

--
Mike.

Old 14-08-2010, 10:20 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle View Post
Sorry: I can be very dense, so bear with me. What exactly do you
speculate would be the political reasons for tut-tutting about a
rock-garden?
The Yorkshire Dales have many damaged limestone pavements. Intact limestone pavements allow the growth of many uncommon plants in the deep cracks between the stones - eg dark red helleborine, baneberry. Possibly he disapproves of the "politically correct" tut-tutting about the use of limestone for rockeries?

Old 15-08-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:
Mike Lyle;897356 Wrote:

Sorry: I can be very dense, so bear with me. What exactly do you
speculate would be the political reasons for tut-tutting about a
rock-garden?

The Yorkshire Dales have many damaged limestone pavements. Intact
limestone pavements allow the growth of many uncommon plants in the
deep cracks between the stones - eg dark red helleborine, baneberry.
Possibly he disapproves of the "politically correct" tut-tutting
about the use of limestone for rockeries?

Yes, I guessed that might be what he was on about. Damned political
correctness! A chap can't even eat a tiger these days without some
trendy leftie whining on about it.

--
Mike.