Old 18-08-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening can seriously damage your health

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110914.php

After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

Pleasant dreams.

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 18-08-2010, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote
After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

Pleasant dreams.

Thank you for that, I emptied out my small plant waste bin at home today to
take it all down the allotment and a cloud of white dust came out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-08-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110914.php

After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

A.k.a. Farmer's Lung.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Aug, 22:07, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110914.php

After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

Pleasant dreams.

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Saw your query in UK-DIY
BTW, have you thought about pollen, could be affecting your eyes.?
There are electrostatic.devices for about the home that will remove
pollen and spores.
Old 19-08-2010, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote
After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease
my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

I'm sure you've done this, but an opthalmic consult
can check causes, and arrange treatment. Local opticians can do the
basics at very short notice, free as part of normal checkup.

Thanks.
All under control via GP and Opthalmologist.

Old 19-08-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110914.php

After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease
my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

Pleasant dreams.

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Saw your query in UK-DIY
BTW, have you thought about pollen, could be affecting your eyes.?
There are electrostatic.devices for about the home that will remove
pollen and spores.

Thought about most things, I hope.
Given that it is much worse in the car with the air conditioning (including
pollen filter) on and it is much better outside I think the primary cause is
lack of moisture.
Hence my query about a humidifier.
It could turn out to be a variant of hay fever (which would be a result
because allergies are treatable) but I suspect not.

Old 19-08-2010, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote

Thought about most things, I hope.
Given that it is much worse in the car with the air conditioning
(including pollen filter) on and it is much better outside I think the
primary cause is lack of moisture.
Hence my query about a humidifier.
It could turn out to be a variant of hay fever (which would be a result
because allergies are treatable) but I suspect not.

Car air conditioning can cause problems due to a build up of bacteria in the
system, even with our car regularly serviced at a main agent I had occasion
to have to disinfect the system myself. You can buy the stuff at Halfords
etc and a new filter would also be a good idea.
It's very simple, you turn on the engine with the air con working on max and
recycle, close all windows etc, let off the canister (like a smoke bomb) and
close the door and wait a while.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:05:35 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote

Thought about most things, I hope.
Given that it is much worse in the car with the air conditioning
(including pollen filter) on and it is much better outside I think
the primary cause is lack of moisture.
Hence my query about a humidifier.
It could turn out to be a variant of hay fever (which would be a
result because allergies are treatable) but I suspect not.

Car air conditioning can cause problems due to a build up of
bacteria in the system, even with our car regularly serviced at a
main agent I had occasion to have to disinfect the system myself.
You can buy the stuff at Halfords etc and a new filter would also be
a good idea.
It's very simple, you turn on the engine with the air con working on
max and recycle, close all windows etc, let off the canister (like a
smoke bomb) and close the door and wait a while.

Best if you close the door from the outside )

Spoilsport! But you can still have a lot of fun if you lock the car from
the outside and wife/offspring/whoever is in Manchester with the spare
key...which I could almost guarantee would happen to me if my car could
be locked without using the key. Or have they sensibly stopped making
them like that?

--
Mike.

Old 19-08-2010, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/110914.php

After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

Pleasant dreams.

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I've a feeling I've heard of wood-turners being affected by working with
spalted beech.

Bill

Old 20-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
Gardeners: Be Cautious Of These Fungal Spores

After a request on 'uk.d-i-y' for help with making a humidifier to ease my
dry eyes brought out the amateur medical fraternity to play Instant
Diagnosis I thought I would check on some of the wilder claims.

Nothing to do with dry eyes, but I did turn up the above.

Pleasant dreams.

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Hi David,

It may be that the Lacrimal glands of your eyes are blocked,it is they who lubricate the eyeballs.If you have not had them checked out I suggest that you do so.

The unblocking is a relatively simple procedure, however it may well leave you with a couple of black eyes for about two weeks.

I hope this information helps you.

uriel13