Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onion Harvesting

Supposedly when harvesting onions, you are supposed to pull them and
leave them on the soil for a while. I can understand the need to ensure
that they are fully dry befors storing, but why leave them on possibly
damp, vernin infested soil?

I the past, I always laid them on an ols sheet on the patio, and moved
them into the garage or greenhouse overnight. Never has an problems
doing this, just curious as to the formal method.

Roger T

Sunny mid-Wales
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote ...

Supposedly when harvesting onions, you are supposed to pull them and
leave them on the soil for a while. I can understand the need to ensure
that they are fully dry befors storing, but why leave them on possibly
damp, vernin infested soil?

I the past, I always laid them on an ols sheet on the patio, and moved
them into the garage or greenhouse overnight. Never has an problems
doing this, just curious as to the formal method.

I always did it the same way as you but this year I tried the old method
because we don't get the thieves on this site as we did before. Never again!
The rain came as they were drying out and we had a lot of onions that had to
be thrown away due to rot. Next year it's back to the ground sheet and only
out when the sun shines.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:
Supposedly when harvesting onions, you are supposed to pull them and
leave them on the soil for a while. I can understand the need to
ensure that they are fully dry befors storing, but why leave them on
possibly damp, vernin infested soil?

I the past, I always laid them on an ols sheet on the patio, and moved
them into the garage or greenhouse overnight. Never has an problems
doing this, just curious as to the formal method.

The same advice applies to potatoes. That makes no sense to me either.

Ian

Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message
Roger Tonkin wrote:
Supposedly when harvesting onions, you are supposed to pull them and
leave them on the soil for a while. I can understand the need to
ensure that they are fully dry befors storing, but why leave them on
possibly damp, vernin infested soil?

I the past, I always laid them on an ols sheet on the patio, and moved
them into the garage or greenhouse overnight. Never has an problems
doing this, just curious as to the formal method.

The same advice applies to potatoes. That makes no sense to me either.

Yes - this makes sense on the small scale we are working on
but on the larger scale, the in field drying technique is perhaps more
practical.

Weather dependant I agree - as with all field harvesting.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com