Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Back to Gardeners World

Why on earth didn't he show how to Plat onions instead of that bit of
rope.
If you can't be bothered with all that work then just get a stocking;
or one leg from a pair of tights; and fill that with your onions when
they are dry and hang that up, they store wll that way.
David Hill
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-05 10:27:10 +0100, Martin said:

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 02:00:27 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Why on earth didn't he show how to Plat onions instead of that bit of
rope.

His system is very simple, the other isn't. The result is the same.

And looks prettier hanging over the Aga than my old tights. ;-)
Aesthetics, David aesthetics. ;-)) All this takes my memory back to the
French onion man in his black beret, riding along on a wonky old bike.

We used to watch a big van pull up in the local car park and then the
'french onion sellers' get out with their bikes to cycle round the streets.
As usual, 90% of everything is in the marketing.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Sep, 12:58, "Part_No" wrote:
Dave Hill wrote in news:0f337ad4-0cc5-44fb-
:

Why on earth didn't he show how to Plat onions instead of that bit of
rope.
If you can't be bothered with all that work then just get a stocking;
or one leg from a pair of tights; and fill that with your onions when
they are dry and hang that up, they store wll that way.
David Hill

Thats the way (tights/stockings) my family have done it since WW2, *quick
and easy. Why make it complicated?
I know some people like using traditional methods in all persuits and wont
let go and I have respect for them.
But for most of us the easiest way has to be the most convenient.

Part_No

I know of nothing easier than making a platt of onions if you want
something that looks good over the Aga, though I'd have thought that
the heat would be to much for them.
David Hill
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"David WE Roberts" said:
"Sacha" wrote
, Martin said:
Dave Hill wrote:

Why on earth didn't he show how to Plat onions instead of that bit of
rope.

His system is very simple, the other isn't. The result is the same.

And looks prettier hanging over the Aga than my old tights. ;-)
Aesthetics, David aesthetics. ;-)) All this takes my memory back to
the French onion man in his black beret, riding along on a wonky old
bike.

We used to watch a big van pull up in the local car park and then the
'french onion sellers' get out with their bikes to cycle round the
streets.
As usual, 90% of everything is in the marketing.

Not in Jersey in the 1950s it wasn't! They were straight off the ferry on
and with their bikes *and* the onions!

We had one as a customer when I worked in Twickenham, used to come over
every year for a few weeks. Had been doing it for years, always rather
dashing (so the girls told me) and I think his motive for coming over here
might not just have been selling onions. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
ISTR that my grandmother
believed in putting sugar on a cut onion and eating it to get rid of a
cold. I hope I'm imagiining that!

Similar to a Dutch colleague who put sugar on tomatoes because to him the
result
tasted like strawberries
--

my mother used to sprinkle sugar and vinegar over salad

kate

Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Snip

ISTR that my grandmother
believed in putting sugar on a cut onion and eating it to get rid of a
cold. I hope I'm imagiining that!

You're not! My grandmother used to make cough mixture by slicing an onion
onto a plate, sprinkling it with a good coating of sugar and leaving it over
night. In the morning she used to run off the liquid and bottle it, keeping
the bottle in the fridge until needed. Very effective and surprisingly
tasty.

--
Kathy