Old 26-09-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sheds

Can anyone advise about metal garden sheds? What are the drawbacks?
I fancy having a shed which does not require treatment every couple of
years.
I saw a 10x4 in Argos for about £200.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Sep, 22:58, JonC wrote:
Can anyone advise about metal garden *sheds? What are the drawbacks?
I fancy having a shed which does not require treatment every couple of
years.
I saw a 10x4 in Argos for about £200.

Condensation is one problem The metals ones rust away too,
especially the cheap ones. You need to examine the finish closely.
You can make up your own with pressure treated timber. Much better
than the dipped ones commonly available.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JonC wrote:
Can anyone advise about metal garden sheds? What are the drawbacks?
I fancy having a shed which does not require treatment every couple of
years.
I saw a 10x4 in Argos for about £200.

The heat inside in summer is unbearable!
--

Pete C
London. UK.

Old 27-09-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I think they make rubbermaid sheds now. The local lumber yard may be
able to help. If you go to the rubbermaid website they have some sheds.
The biggest shed I seen for them is 7ft by 10 ft on HD website.

--
Airport Shuttle

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com)
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
When it fell apart we
replaced it, with one of those small plastic sheds, about £99 in B and
Q; and bolted it down onto a concrete base. It's still weatherproof and
undamaged after 20 years; very robust.

Janet.

Would you be able to make them very secure Janet? I'd love to get my
bike out of the hall and into a small shed in the front garden so i
didn't have to go all the way down to the bottom of the garden but I
worry about security.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article ,
Janet writes
When it fell apart we
replaced it, with one of those small plastic sheds, about £99 in B and
Q; and bolted it down onto a concrete base. It's still weatherproof and
undamaged after 20 years; very robust.

Janet.

Would you be able to make them very secure Janet? I'd love to get my
bike out of the hall and into a small shed in the front garden so i
didn't have to go all the way down to the bottom of the garden but I
worry about security.

Any sort of shed type thing for this is never going to be that secure
really. Hinges , lock fixings will always be weak points.

Better I think to concentrate on having something to lock the bike to
securely inside. Some sort of ground anchor concreted in? or bolted to
the house wall? you can things they use for locking motorbikes too. Or a
length of hardened steel chain concreted into a lump of concrete buried
a couple of feet under ground with a couple of steel bars sticking out
into the soil.

Lock the bike to this with a decent lock or another length of security
chain. Won't stop someone if they really want it, but assuming it's not
bike that someone is going to want make a effort to get (in which case
I wouldn't want to be leaving it outside the front of the house anyway)
it will keep off the local scrotes.
--
Chris French

Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes
Lock the bike to this with a decent lock or another length of security
chain. Won't stop someone if they really want it, but assuming it's not
bike that someone is going to want make a effort to get (in which
case I wouldn't want to be leaving it outside the front of the house
anyway) it will keep off the local scrotes.

I've got a fairly full front garden and a high enough hedge that it
would be difficult for all but the really nosy to see a shed if I got
one just big enough to put the bike in. All our hedges are about 8 foot
tall and i have very large shrubs etc. in the middle of the beds plus
quite a good width (about 60 foot) of hedge from the driveway to where
I'd place it.
Good idea to secure it though.
I would like something that would keep the bike dry and to store my
various garden implements between doing gardens. (I usually leave them
in the car but it would be nice to hoik them out and put them away
somewhere under cover if i was going out anywhere and had to p longish
time in a public car park)
Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

john hamilton wrote:

if i had my time again i would try one of the plastic sheds from Cosco. yes
i know plastic sounds awful, but you have to see these to realize they are
actually substantial. although never having bought one, I would be
interested to hear what people have to say about the plastic ones.

It might be worth looking at agricultural suppliers - you used to be
able to get 8' x 4' x ½" sheets of plastic 'chipbord' - very srong, very
waterproof, battleship grey, and can easily be cut with a panel saw,
bent, moulded, etc.

--
Rusty

Looking for help in the study of garden sheds ccoath United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 07:56 AM
Sheds gap [was:Re DECKING] Brian Watson United Kingdom 2 23-02-2004 07:42 AM
try here for concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 08:19 AM
concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 05-02-2004 06:48 PM
sheds karen United Kingdom 4 27-05-2003 10:20 AM