Old 13-10-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Enabling a garden bonfire

On 13 Oct, 16:53, Janet wrote:
In article o.uk,
says...

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:57:21 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

Not wishing to buy a dustbin incinerator for what would be a kind of one
off job, does anyone have any ideas on how to make a simple kind
incinerator/grill (the basic idea i suppose is to get the air in
underneath) thing to make the bonfire burn better.

Good grief don't people know how to build a fire these days?

* Not unless they have a degree in Bonfire Enabling. Course fees are
£10,000. Applicants should have *matriculated with a high grade in A
level Match-striking and at least a pass paper in Crumpling.

* *Janet

Re the course fee, I'd have thought you could get Matched
funding...........
Old 14-10-2010, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2010 21:57, john hamilton wrote:
A neighbour has recently had a lot of shrubs and laurel cut down. The
intention is to burn it.

Not wishing to buy a dustbin incinerator for what would be a kind of one off
job, does anyone have any ideas on how to make a simple kind
incinerator/grill (the basic idea i suppose is to get the air in underneath)
thing to make the bonfire burn better.

He has some spare concrete paving bricks as a starter. Any suggestions?

Yes, read this before you start.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...ing/DG_4018684
regards
Don
Old 14-10-2010, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Donwill wrote in
:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC.../Streetcleanin
glitterandillegaldumping/DG_4018684

Thats a new one to me.

I thought that bonfires were illegal and a friend of mine was prossecuted.

Must have been a change over the years, which is good news.
Do it by the book and eveyone is happy? Lets see this weekend.

Baz
Old 14-10-2010, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:54:21 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

And make sure the TV camera isn't filming when you use the petrol and
matches.

He he, BTDTGTTS! When I was a lad. I'd previously used parafin to
start fires and knew that petrol wasn't a "good idea" so only put
about a table spoon on the paper and twigs, made sure the can was
well away and sealed. The struck match and threw it at the fire, the
whole thing lifted 6" off the ground with a decided WHUMPF! Got the
fire going mind and taught me to respect petrol. B-)

I do have a small quantity of paraffin which I admit to using on
occasions when I don't have two boy scouts to rub together.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-10-2010, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

According to Direct Gov. website

"To be considered a nuisance, bonfires need to be a regular occurrence
and seriously interfere with your well-being. If the bonfire is only
occasional, eg a couple of times a year, it's unlikely to be considered
a nuisance in law."
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 15-10-2010, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:01:00 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

I do have a small quantity of paraffin which I admit to using on
occasions when I don't have two boy scouts to rub together.

Aged 10 and not allowed matches I would visit the bonfire patch at the
end of my grandmother's garden and and get a fire going even if it
took me all afternoon. Matches would have been cheating
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 15-10-2010, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
Aged 10 and not allowed matches I would visit the bonfire patch at the
end of my grandmother's garden and and get a fire going even if it
took me all afternoon. Matches would have been cheating
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I use a self igniting gas weed wand and a broken plant pots tray.
Never fails.
Agreed - matches cheating !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Oct, 19:00, Baz wrote:
Donwill wrote :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC.../Streetcleanin
glitterandillegaldumping/DG_4018684

Thats a new one to me.

I thought that bonfires were illegal and a friend of mine was prossecuted.

Must have been a change over the years, which is good news.
Do it by the book and eveyone is happy? Lets see this weekend.

Baz

There are different byelaws in different places. In towns, it's quite
likely illegal.
Old 15-10-2010, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Oct, 15:09, "Pete" wrote:
"mogga" wrote in message

Aged 10 and not allowed matches I would visit the bonfire patch at the
end of my grandmother's garden and and get a fire going even if it
took me all afternoon. Matches would have been cheating
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

I use a self igniting gas *weed wand and a broken plant pots tray.
Never fails.
Agreed - matches cheating !

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

I have a friction kit given to me by a Venezuelan indian. He could do
it a lot faster than I can.
Old 15-10-2010, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

I have a friction kit given to me by a Venezuelan indian. He could do
it a lot faster than I can.

Bet he had a lot more children too !

(me coats on and i'm gone already)
Pete

Old 19-10-2010, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
According to Direct Gov. website

"To be considered a nuisance, bonfires need to be a regular occurrence and
seriously interfere with your well-being. If the bonfire is only
occasional, eg a couple of times a year, it's unlikely to be considered a
nuisance in law."
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

A web-site which might also throw some light on the bon-fire discussion:

http://www.environmental-protection....onfires/#wa790

Bill