Old 26-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Bill

Default protecting ground from bonfire

I have a parking area that is made from about 6 inches of brick rubble with
about 2 inches of limestine chippings on top. We need to have the Nov 5th
bonfire somewhere in that area. I'd like to minimise the damage and mess. Has
anyone any ideas how I can do this?

Bill

Old 26-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Mike

..
"Bill" wrote in message
I have a parking area that is made from about 6 inches of brick rubble

with
about 2 inches of limestine chippings on top. We need to have the Nov 5th
bonfire somewhere in that area. I'd like to minimise the damage and mess.

Has
anyone any ideas how I can do this?

Bill

Bill don't go too much on the theory that 'heat rises'. It goes down as
well. We had a BBQ and we used the 'Instant BBQ' as sold by Safeway. That
was very good and we used them again, but the first time we used them, I
used my pasting table, with a thick dust sheet cloth over it, and a paving
slab to 'absorb' and downward heat.

WRONG.

It heated the paving slab, scorched the cloth and burnt the pasting table.

Just for your information!!!! and help I hope

Mike

Old 26-10-2004, 11:35 PM
Registered User

I teach firewalking and we put three layers of turf down before setting the fire. There is absolutely no damage on tarmac or grass using this method. As turf is a bit expensive for a bonfire, just use a sheet of something to keep the chippings clean then put a 6 inch layer of soil down on top. That should prevent any damage.
Old 27-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Brian Watson

"DJBrenton" wrote in message
news

I teach firewalking

Ew! Anyone ever fail the exam?

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 27-10-2004, 09:05 AM
JennyC

"Bill" wrote in message
I have a parking area that is made from about 6 inches of brick rubble with
about 2 inches of limestine chippings on top. We need to have the Nov 5th
bonfire somewhere in that area. I'd like to minimise the damage and mess. Has
anyone any ideas how I can do this?

Bill

Idea ?
Scrape the chippings to one side to make a pit for the fire.
Rake them back to cover any scorching?
Jenny

Old 29-10-2004, 08:51 AM
JennyC

"Brian Watson" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Bill" wrote
I have a parking area that is made from about 6 inches of brick rubble

with about 2 inches of limestine chippings on top. We need to have the Nov
5th bonfire somewhere in that area. I'd like to minimise the damage and
mess. Has anyone any ideas how I can do this?
Bill

Idea ?
Scrape the chippings to one side to make a pit for the fire.
Rake them back to cover any scorching?

Brilliant!
Brian

Not just a pretty face after all :~))
Jenny

Old 29-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Brian Watson

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

Scrape the chippings to one side to make a pit for the fire.
Rake them back to cover any scorching?

Brilliant!
Brian

Not just a pretty face after all :~))

In my case, not *even* a... etc etc.

:-)

Old 30-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Bill

Idea ?
Scrape the chippings to one side to make a pit for the fire.
Rake them back to cover any scorching?

I'll do that, and I'll let you know how I get on.

Bill