Old 19-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.holmes View Post
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should be
dispatched!

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message

They shouldn't be dispatched, they aren't harmful to us people, they live in trees, so we have to expect them? we can't just kill everything we dislike?

just carry on doing as you're doing, I think its very fair you told them to leave the squirrels alone.

and as far as I know, its fine that they breed this time of year.. But don't quote me on that.
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 20-11-2010, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squirrels

In message , hollierose
writes

alan.holmes;902917 Wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
...-

They shouldn't be dispatched, they aren't harmful to us people

Unless they get into your loft and chew through the wiring insulation
and burn the roof off. ;-)

They cut off my mate's phone by chewing his telephone cable.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 24-11-2010, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gordon H wrote:
They shouldn't be dispatched, they aren't harmful to us people

Unless they get into your loft and chew through the wiring insulation
and burn the roof off. ;-)

They cut off my mate's phone by chewing his telephone cable.

Was he on the phone to the squirrel-removal-people at the time?
Old 24-11-2010, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Unless they get into your loft and chew through the wiring insulation
and burn the roof off. ;-)

They cut off my mate's phone by chewing his telephone cable.

Was he on the phone to the squirrel-removal-people at the time?

The squirrel?

Don't be silly, how would he be on the phone /and/ chewing the cable at the
same time, eh?
Old 24-11-2010, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Martin wrote:
Unless they get into your loft and chew through the wiring insulation
and burn the roof off. ;-)

They cut off my mate's phone by chewing his telephone cable.

Was he on the phone to the squirrel-removal-people at the time?

The squirrel?

Don't be silly, how would he be on the phone /and/ chewing the cable at
the
same time, eh?

'he'? Are we sure it was a 'he'?

It is a well known fact that women spend more time on the phone than men.

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 26-11-2010, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 18, 9:12*am, sutartsorric wrote:
On 17 Oct, 17:36, Corporal Jones wrote:

* On 16/10/2010 21:30, Christina Websell wrote:

*wrote in message
"Corporal *wrote in message
* On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!
Read my Lips
Your lips do not change the fact that they are vermin!
But he particularly said he would not welcome posts about they are vermin.
So you post two.
You have not forgotten in two minutes, so I'm away about supporting you
about your memory probs.

Vermin is just a matter of ones own opinion, in particular Alan's, I
will grant you that they are not indigenous to the UK.
Neither are Rabbits, Muntjacs, Collared Doves and the bloody cats that
crap on my lawn but all *are welcome to share my little plot of land
along with the Hedgehogs, Badgers & Fox's.
Non of them do any amount of damage that I cannot cope with even when
the Badgers occasionally dig up the lawn looking for worms, I just push
the turf back down.

Consider yourself very lucky, or maybe just in the initial stages of
badger destruction. Mine have broken a large hole in my garden fence,
which when I blocked it with a couple of breeze blocks, just tunneled
under the blocks, when I blocked the tunnel, just broke another large
hole in the fence adjacent to the previous one. They have half
demolished a small dry stone wall at the back of my garden, dug
numerous flowering plants out of tubs and turned said tubs on their
side emptying out all the soil. They have fallen into the garden pond
and in their panic to get back out again have punctured the liner, and
the water has drained out.

This is in addition to the damage to the lawn which looks like it has
been used for mortar practice by the army most mornings.

All in all, I am sick of the things. My decent 'wildlife garden' has
been turned into a disaster area. I am not even sure that I have the
enthusiasm to repair anything, as the badgers will just destroy it
again.- Hide quoted text -

Next thing they'll be tunneling under your house. You need to tkae
steps now to get rid of them. Before they cause signifcant damage.
Tip diesel down their holes.
Old 27-11-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:34:47 +0000, Malcolm
wrote:

In article
,
harry writes

Next thing they'll be tunneling under your house. You need to tkae
steps now to get rid of them. Before they cause signifcant damage.
Tip diesel down their holes.

That would be breaking the law if it could be shown that you knew the
sett was occupied or unless you had first obtained a licence. From what
is being described in the way of damage, the latter might be worth
investigating.

"In Great Britain, legislation prohibits the taking, injuring, selling,
possessing or killing of badgers and it is an offence to ill-treat any
badger, damage, destroy, disturb or cause a dog to enter a badger sett.
A person shall not be guilty of an offence if the badger is killed,
taken or the badger sett interfered with, if they have a licence
authorised by the appropriate authority. Licences can be granted for the
purposes of education, conservation, zoos, ringing, forestry,
agriculture, land drainage, archaeology, controlling foxes or preventing
spread of disease and serious damage to land, crops, poultry or
property."

Tipping diesel into holes in the ground is a pollution offence too.
--

It is acceptable, IIRC correctly to pour diesel where they are coming in to
your garden to put them off,. but not into their setts.

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM
[IBC] Squirrels dalecochoy Bonsai 3 06-02-2003 11:27 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 12:19 AM
Squirrels Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-01-2003 02:08 PM