Old 15-10-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squirrels

Had the tree guys come round today to trim the one in the front
garden, call it the Ivy tree because it is absolutely covered in Ivy but
I leave it that way for the birds to nest in & overwinter, very popular
tree for the birds.
Anyhow they knocked on the door halfway through the operation to tell me
that they had found a Squirrels nest in there with 4 yelps in? presume
he meant young, told them to leave them alone & work around them.
I was amazed that at this time of year Squirrels should be raising
young, is this normal?

I usually get squirrels nesting in the tree's in the back garden but
in the spring, & I don't need anybody to mention tree rats & are better
dead.
I have a green garden & no I enjoy meat so not a veggie, just use a bit
of logic for the visitors, Badgers, Foxes, Wood Pigeons, Muntjac,
Squirrels, Doves, mice & the odd feral cat - easy solution - feed them
so they have no interest in destroying the plants.
Just amazed that Squirrels should raise young so late in the year.

Barry

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Old 16-10-2010, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Oct, 18:43, Corporal Jones wrote:
* On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote: You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should be
dispatched!

Read my Lips

I *usually get squirrels *nesting in the tree's in the back garden but in

*the spring,& *I don't need anybody to mention tree rats& *are better dead.

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"
Life will go on albeit somewhat reduced

He (correctly) means they are foriegn vermin that should be
exterminated not encouraged. Apart from cats, they are the greatest
predator of our birdlife.
You are a half wit, they are not "squirrel nutkin" they destroy birds
nests and eat the young and eggs..
They are also very desructive of trees and our forests. You can get
special traps and poison for this purpose.
BTW, if you catch one, it is illegal to release it.
Old 16-10-2010, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message

On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!

Read my Lips

I usually get squirrels nesting in the tree's in the back garden but in
the spring,& I don't need anybody to mention tree rats& are better
dead.

--

Female squirrels have two litters per year, the latest can be born in late
July (ish) but as they as don't completely leave the nest altogether until

cheers
Tina

Old 16-10-2010, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Oct, 08:22, harry wrote:
[...]

You dont say. Personally I would prefer if we kept grey squirrels and
exterminated domestic cats.

Just think of all the extra resources that would be available, which
are currently devoted to bloating the bellies of millions of cats in
this country?
Old 16-10-2010, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message

On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!

Read my Lips

Your lips do not change the fact that they are vermin!

Old 16-10-2010, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message

On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!

Read my Lips

Your lips do not change the fact that they are vermin!

But he particularly said he would not welcome posts about they are vermin.
So you post two.
You have not forgotten in two minutes, so I'm away about supporting you
about your memory probs.

Old 17-10-2010, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2010 21:30, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
"Corporal wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!
Read my Lips

Your lips do not change the fact that they are vermin!

But he particularly said he would not welcome posts about they are vermin.
So you post two.
You have not forgotten in two minutes, so I'm away about supporting you
about your memory probs.

Vermin is just a matter of ones own opinion, in particular Alan's, I
will grant you that they are not indigenous to the UK.
Neither are Rabbits, Muntjacs, Collared Doves and the bloody cats that
crap on my lawn but all are welcome to share my little plot of land
along with the Hedgehogs, Badgers & Fox's.
Non of them do any amount of damage that I cannot cope with even when
the Badgers occasionally dig up the lawn looking for worms, I just push
the turf back down.
Although I was brought up in the wilds of Yorkshire & used to hunt
rabbits with ferrets that was just for food, nowadays I have a local
Tesco for my meat, I do not kill for the sake of it.
I now live in the south on the outskirts of a large town & deem it a
privilege to be visited by these creatures to my little plot of land & I
do feed & encourage them.
Here you go Alan, watch and listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFNDq...eature=related

ps: Are you the one with the grey whiskers Alan?

Old 17-10-2010, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 Corporal Jones wrote:

Here you go Alan, watch and listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFNDq...eature=related

Thanks! I always found the music for that haunting. Whatever else people
said about the Muppets their music was always of a high standard.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 17-10-2010, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/2010 18:15, David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 Corporal Jones wrote:

Here you go Alan, watch and listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFNDq...eature=related

Thanks! I always found the music for that haunting. Whatever else
people said about the Muppets their music was always of a high standard.

David

Don't know about the Muppets as they where only Puppets but the guys
behind them certainly had feelings.

Old 17-10-2010, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

*wrote in message
"Corporal *wrote in message
[...]

Life will go on albeit somewhat reduced- Hide quoted text -

So, are rats vermin, if so what is the difference?
Old 17-10-2010, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote in message
"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 18:28, alan.holmes wrote:
You should not have told them to leave them, they are vermin and should
be
dispatched!
Read my Lips

Your lips do not change the fact that they are vermin!

But he particularly said he would not welcome posts about they are vermin.

Posts are published on Usenet for the consideration of subscribers, to
read and if desired, to reply to.

It is not in anyone's gift to bar replies.

My two penn'orth is that squirrels are very good in a casserole.

So you post two.

As is his right.

You have not forgotten in two minutes, so I'm away about supporting you
about your memory probs.

A?

--
Rusty
Old 17-10-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Corporal Jones wrote:

[...]

Well said that man, even thought i have no love for Squirrels

-

Old 18-10-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

*wrote in message
"Corporal *wrote in message
[...]

Consider yourself very lucky, or maybe just in the initial stages of
badger destruction. Mine have broken a large hole in my garden fence,
which when I blocked it with a couple of breeze blocks, just tunneled
under the blocks, when I blocked the tunnel, just broke another large
hole in the fence adjacent to the previous one. They have half
demolished a small dry stone wall at the back of my garden, dug
numerous flowering plants out of tubs and turned said tubs on their
side emptying out all the soil. They have fallen into the garden pond
and in their panic to get back out again have punctured the liner, and
the water has drained out.

This is in addition to the damage to the lawn which looks like it has
been used for mortar practice by the army most mornings.

All in all, I am sick of the things. My decent 'wildlife garden' has
been turned into a disaster area. I am not even sure that I have the
enthusiasm to repair anything, as the badgers will just destroy it
again.

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM
[IBC] Squirrels dalecochoy Bonsai 3 06-02-2003 11:27 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 12:19 AM
Squirrels Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-01-2003 02:08 PM