Old 19-10-2010, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird Box Saga - The Final Chapter

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Grey
writes

I had a nest box which blue tits chose in 2006, and I caught 5
fledgelings
emerging by placing my camcorder on the dining room window ledge, and
cabling it to a DVD recorder which was left running for hours when the
fledging was due. This determined pair managed to win the box from
bumble bee which tried to steal it. I got some amusing footage of
BT
sparring with bumble bee at the entrance. :-)

I did manage to get some video of the mother blue tit feeding the chicks
soon after which the fledglings left the box. I was standing very quiety
and still about 8ft from the nest box.
The fledglings are totally naive and do not know the fear of humans - at
least for a while

Bill

I took some shots of a chick peering out at the world for the first time
by creeping up close.
I still have one or two on my photograph site:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16201411

I like the "Second Look" shot - lovely.

Bill

Thanks, the first one shows the "gape" of the juvenile beak.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 19-10-2010, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

very interesting about the corks which seems to suggest if tits
are kept out where PF are, they will use the boxes later.
Does not apply here as we have no PF's.
Tina

Yes indeed! That was the theory and it worked. I blieve the Pied Fly
Catchers travel down the western side of GB.

Bill

We saw a pair of PFs nesting in a box high up on a tree in a local
country park in 2009, but the nest box was replaced because it rotted,
and they didn't use it this year.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 19-10-2010, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/2010 10:22, Gordon H wrote:
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

At last a rare glimpse of your wonderful photographs, Gordon, I still
think the picture of the spider is a winner.
I particularly love your photos of the Dipper and the Mandarin Duck,
also winners imo.

Bobbie
Old 19-10-2010, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Unca Bob
writes
On 19/10/2010 10:22, Gordon H wrote:

Thanks, the first one shows the "gape" of the juvenile beak.

At last a rare glimpse of your wonderful photographs, Gordon, I still
think the picture of the spider is a winner.
I particularly love your photos of the Dipper and the Mandarin Duck,
also winners imo.

Bobbie

I wouldn't call mine wonderful after seeing your own collection. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 21-10-2010, 06:04 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
Hi all

About 3 months ago I went up the ladder to retrieve the box and fit the ply
faceplate. As soon as I disturbed the box, a loud buzzing sound prompted me
to abandon the re-furb rather hurriedly. Despite regular observation since,
I have not seen any insect activity around the box.
Yesterday, I plucked up courage to go back up the ladder. Having covered
the entrance hole with duct tape, I detached the birdbox and returned to
terra firma to investigate. As anticipated, there was a
fortunately-abandoned insect nest of some sort buried in the old bird
nesting material - google images suggest that this is either a bee or
hornets former home. Not a large settlement, the nest volume is maybe equal
to a tennis ball at most. Still I wouldn't have liked to incur the wrath of
its inhabitants nonetheless.
I had similar insect activity in a box formerly briefly occupied by blue tits, so did some googling.

The tree bee, Bombus hypnorum, has in recent years arrived from europe and is spreading north and west across britain. It likes to build its nests in nest boxes previously used by tits. It's not thought to be a threat to any of the british bumblebees, so ecologists are welcoming its spread.

It's a black bee with a white bum and what looks like a furry ginger cape around its shoulders.

As far as I can tell from what I've read, they seem to abandon the nest in mid summer.