Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Bird Box Saga

Hi all

I noticed last year that the hole in the front of my bird box had been
enlarged considerably by previous occupants and thought that this was
probably the reason for the lack of recent interest.
So I made a cover plate out of aluminium with a smaller (original size)
hole.
This year I had some interest, but decided that the birds didn't use it
because their attempts to alter the access simply resulted in headaches or
bent beaks.
So I removed the aluminium cover plate with the intention of making a wooden
ply version.
This I did, but when I went up the ladder recently to fit it I noticed that
there was a nest in the box, but no feathered inhabitants.
I started to remove the lid and noticed that a loud buzzing noise started
issuing from the box!!!
Needless to say I descended the ladder rather smartly and left well alone.

So what has taken over the bird box? I have had wasp issues before and know
how they behave - haven't seen any of those.
Despite frequent glances, I have yet to see any flying insects entering or
leaving.

Anyone know-or-can-suggest the likely culprit?

Phil

Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
I started to remove the lid and noticed that a loud buzzing noise started
issuing from the box!!!
Needless to say I descended the ladder rather smartly and left well alone.
So what has taken over the bird box? I have had wasp issues before and
know how they behave - haven't seen any of those.
Despite frequent glances, I have yet to see any flying insects entering or
leaving.
Anyone know-or-can-suggest the likely culprit?

Solitary bees? (But not sure how that should then be a plural :-) )

Hornets are a protected species.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

TheScullster wrote:

[...]

Almost certainly it'll be tree bees
http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/tree_bee.htm

That's what moved into our small nest box this year which is less than
6 foot from our patio windows and they havent bothered us at all, just
left them alone.

Mind you the neighbour wasnt too happy as "every time their kid banged
the fence they got aggressive"

Funny that eh?
So I haven't moved them

--
Donnie
Old 08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
Hi all

This I did, but when I went up the ladder recently to fit it I noticed that
there was a nest in the box, but no feathered inhabitants.
I started to remove the lid and noticed that a loud buzzing noise started
issuing from the box!!!
Needless to say I descended the ladder rather smartly and left well alone.

So what has taken over the bird box?
By coincidence, I've just come in from the garden having noticed that our bird box has been taken over by bumblebees - half a dozen of them buzzing around the entrance or coming in or going out.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
By coincidence, I've just come in from the garden having noticed that our bird box has been taken over by bumblebees - half a dozen of them buzzing around the entrance or coming in or going out.
And, yes, they are tree bee, Bombus hypnorum, arrived in SE in 2001, spreading N and W. The ones around the entrance are thought to be males waiting to try their luck with emerging queens.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Donnie
writes
Almost certainly it'll be tree bees
http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/tree_bee.htm

That's what moved into our small nest box this year which is less than
6 foot from our patio windows and they havent bothered us at all, just
left them alone.

Mind you the neighbour wasnt too happy as "every time their kid banged
the fence they got aggressive"

I know someone who has also got the tree bees in a bird box at the end
of their patio and they've now been stung several times as they can't
get out of their patio doors (the only back access ) without passing the
box within about four feet. Apparently they (the bees) will go away by
July.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Donnie
writes
Almost certainly it'll be tree bees
http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/tree_bee.htm

That's what moved into our small nest box this year which is less
than 6 foot from our patio windows and they havent bothered us at
all, just left them alone.

Mind you the neighbour wasnt too happy as "every time their kid
banged the fence they got aggressive"

I know someone who has also got the tree bees in a bird box at the
end of their patio and they've now been stung several times as they
can't get out of their patio doors (the only back access ) without
passing the box within about four feet. Apparently they (the bees)
will go away by July.

Hmmm thats odd 'cos I've been within a foot of the hive to take some
pics with no problems....

--
Donnie

Bird Box Saga - The Final Chapter TheScullster United Kingdom 21 21-10-2010 06:04 AM
Bird Box, Lice cam Jez United Kingdom 4 01-04-2006 03:59 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
English box, Japanese box growth. Which faster? Nick Cook Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Fixing Bird Box Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 11:30 AM