Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Daphne laureola philippi

Grateful for any advice concerning the care of Daphne laureola philippi.
We have one of these in a container, planted in a mix of JI 3 and grit
about 15 months ago. Growth has been minimal and many of the lower leaves
have been turning yellow and dropping off during the last couple of
months. It is located in a sheltered semi-shaded spot where it its
watering regime is the same as the adjacent collection of other plants
being grown on for the shrub beds which are not showing any problems.

--
rbel
Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbel View Post
Grateful for any advice concerning the care of Daphne laureola philippi.
We have one of these in a container, planted in a mix of JI 3 and grit
about 15 months ago. Growth has been minimal and many of the lower leaves
have been turning yellow and dropping off during the last couple of
months. It is located in a sheltered semi-shaded spot where it its
watering regime is the same as the adjacent collection of other plants
being grown on for the shrub beds which are not showing any problems.

--
rbel
D. laureola is a rare wild plant in Britain, and is found mainly in chalky woodlands. I've found it a couple of times in the Chilterns, in places looking so dry in the summer you wonder how it survives. My father has one in his very dry, chalky, heavily treed garden and it grows fine without any attention or watering. Maybe you are overwatering it, and maybe it would like a bit of lime. Maybe it would like to be put in the ground and suffer some benign neglect. A few leaves going yellow and falling off at this time of year is normal. The rather similar looking D. odora does the same. D. odora is a much more attractive plant in flower to my taste, but each to his own.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:09:40 -0000, echinosum
wrote:

rbel;904574 Wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for your response
--
rbel

Daphne Pete United Kingdom 9 26-07-2011 10:40 AM
Grafting Daphne Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 35 16-03-2004 04:37 AM
Daphne bholua 'Jaqueline Postill' Rod United Kingdom 4 29-01-2004 07:13 PM
Daphne Pete United Kingdom 0 04-01-2004 11:07 AM
Daphne Odora- diagnosis, please skg Gardening 2 14-04-2003 07:08 AM