Old 13-11-2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default winged stemmed shrub

Does anyone recall what hardy shrubs have winged stems and pinnate (or
perhaps distichous opposite) foliage? (I might be misinterpreting the
foliage on Euonymus alatus, but I would have expected autumn colour on
that by now.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-11-2010, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Liquidambar is another possibility
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 15-11-2010, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Liquidambar is another possibility

It's probably Euonymus alatus, and I got confused by the absence of the
typical autumn colour. The location is an abandoned arboretum planted
with native species (was it planted by mistake, instead of Euonymus
europaeus).

It's not Ulmus alata, which has simple, alternate leaves, and not
Liquidambar styraciflua, which has palmately lobed leaves. (I was
wondering if I was forgetting anything obvious.)

But thanks for the suggestions.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-11-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-11-15 20:07:18 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Liquidambar is another possibility

It's probably Euonymus alatus, and I got confused by the absence of
the typical autumn colour. The location is an abandoned arboretum
planted with native species (was it planted by mistake, instead of
Euonymus europaeus).
It's not Ulmus alata, which has simple, alternate leaves, and not
Liquidambar styraciflua, which has palmately lobed leaves. (I was
wondering if I was forgetting anything obvious.)
But thanks for the suggestions.

We've got Euonymus europaeus in pots but at the moment it's got teeny
white flowers on it and is just beginning to turn colour, if that's any
help! The being in a pot may affect them, I suppose.

Euonymus europaeus normally has its teeny white flowers in spring. At
this time of the year it is easily spotted from the pink (and orange)
4-lobed fruits. The foliage of some turned pink in October, and the
foliage of others stayed green. I've read that there's native stock, and
imported stock; perhaps that's the difference (but I wouldn't know which
way round they are).

Euonymus europaeus doesn't have winged stems - I checked a local
specimen early on Sunday morning.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley