Old 19-11-2010, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default paeonia

In message , Owdboggy
writes

Owdboggy;905501 Wrote:
On the RHS website, I searched for collectors and got the up to date
list:
http://tinyurl.com/39j8edr

Noted a certain JH in the listing was Halda, J.
Surfed on "halda paeonia" and got this:
'Paeonia by Josef Halda With James Waddick'
(http://www.peonies.org/Paeonia.html)
Although species of Paeonia are found in the wild throughout the
northern Hemisphere, they are mainly associated
with Asia and Asian gardens.Josef Halda is one of the few botanists who
have travelled to see every known peony species and subspecies in the
wild, often in extremely remote areas
Josef J. Halda
I suspect you might find that plant in his book The Genus Paeonia

I have just had a look through my copy of this book and there is no
mention of either a Paeony under this name nor Kazakhstan. Nearest name
is P. anomala.

But it is plausible that the label refers to seed collected in
Kazakhstan by J. Halda.

Paeonia anomala, at the least, is found in Kazakhstan.

I wonder if Ancluvita refers to a location.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Recently had to rescue a lot of plants from a garden in Hockliffe as
owners don't want responsibility of an ex owner's (very keen gardener)
plants. Many obviously grown from seed from Khazakstan and Russia Turkey
and New Zealand.
We couldn't read some plant labels (They had taken some of the geraniums
with them as they once held a national collection)
Anyway I have this one label of a plant we dug up which looks like
Paeony Ancluvita. Anyone have a stab at an id of this for us please?
On the reverse of the label is JH1745 Kazakstan

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 19-11-2010, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
But it is plausible that the label refers to seed collected in
Kazakhstan by J. Halda.

Paeonia anomala, at the least, is found in Kazakhstan.

I wonder if Ancluvita refers to a location.

Maybe! Many of the plant labels in the garden had similar details
(initials plus number and where from) Some had things such as "seed
collected from " in many cases it seemed to be Russia or Kazakhstan so
maybe there were expeditions there?
It's such an elusive mystery that i will now have to try and solve it
for my own satisfaction|

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-11-2010, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
But it is plausible that the label refers to seed collected in Kazakhstan
by J. Halda.

Paeonia anomala, at the least, is found in Kazakhstan.

I wonder if Ancluvita refers to a location.

Maybe! Many of the plant labels in the garden had similar details
(initials plus number and where from) Some had things such as "seed
collected from " in many cases it seemed to be Russia or Kazakhstan so
maybe there were expeditions there?
It's such an elusive mystery that i will now have to try and solve it
for my own satisfaction|

Joseph Halda, the Czech botanist, is still lecturing in the USA from what
I've read so maybe you could contact him in person. He has written a book on
paeonia.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden