Old 24-11-2010, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

Default Grass Mower?

I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth
with containing gravel boards running along the length on either side.
I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed
Old 24-11-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with
containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am
thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

As long as the grass is above the boards, then a battery Flymo

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 24-11-2010, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

'Mike' wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with
containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am
thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

As long as the grass is above the boards, then a battery Flymo

Mike

Otherwise, if it not above boards?

Old 24-11-2010, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

'Mike' wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with
containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am
thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

As long as the grass is above the boards, then a battery Flymo

Mike

You not recommend a simple push/pull mower?

Ed

Old 24-11-2010, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with
containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am
thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

I mow a small lawn for an aged friend using a Qualcast push cylinder mower.
It works well as long as the machine is kept in good order and you don't let
the grass get too long. The only problem with hers is that the mower has
side wheels which means I can't mow about three inches along the side of a
wall and border. I have seen a rear roller version which would probably be
better.

Mike

Old 24-11-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Ed" wrote ...

I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth
with containing gravel boards running along the length on either side.
I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Use bark chippings, gravel, slabs... anything but grass. Just my opinion.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 24-11-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-11-24 14:53:43 +0000, Ed ex@directory said:

I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth
with containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I
am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

A bear gun? Sorry, Ed - facetious streak escaped me! How about a
weed-proof membrane and gravel?
--
Sacha

and every time you step off the bare earth, especially if it is a bit wet,
you pick up the gravel on your boots/shoes? :-(((

NO NO NO NO NO

Old 24-11-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote ...
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with
containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am
thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Use bark chippings, gravel, slabs... anything but grass. Just my opinion.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Forget chippings and gravel. Every time you step off the earth, especially
if it is a bit wet, you bring the chippings or stones with you. Been there,
done that, got rid of it.

Old 24-11-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth

No shit Sherlock?

Have you contact Sarah Palin. I am sure she will come and shoot of for you.

with containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I
am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I've don it with shears. At that level of patheticness

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

A pair of shears.

When you have an acre and a half to mow, then we will talk lawnmowers.

Ed

--
Faith moves mountains. Or you can use a Caterpillar.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft
in length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted
earth with containing gravel boards running along the length on
either side. I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need
to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe
a battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

As long as the grass is above the boards, then a battery Flymo

Mike

Otherwise, if it not above boards?

Reportt it to the council I would say.

Old 24-11-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft
in length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted
earth with containing gravel boards running along the length on
either side. I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need
to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe
a battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

As long as the grass is above the boards, then a battery Flymo

Mike

You not recommend a simple push/pull mower?

I not recommend you don't take class in basic English.
Ed

Old 24-11-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-11-24 14:53:43 +0000, Ed ex@directory said:

I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft
in length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted
earth with containing gravel boards running along the length on either
side. I am thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe
a battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

Ed

A bear gun? Sorry, Ed - facetious streak escaped me! How about a
weed-proof membrane and gravel?

Guy is obviously a mentally retarded suburbanite.

Astroturf is the obvious solution.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"'Mike'" wrote in message
A bear gun? Sorry, Ed - facetious streak escaped me! How about a
weed-proof membrane and gravel?
--
Sacha

and every time you step off the bare earth, especially if it is a bit wet,
you pick up the gravel on your boots/shoes? :-(((

NO NO NO NO NO

Mike

It has got to be paving to get the yes yes yes yes - I would suggest.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-11-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have an allotment plot with pathway down the middle - about 100 ft in
length and 2.5ft wide. At the moment it is just bear compacted earth with
containing gravel boards running along the length on either side. I am
thinking of grassing it over. But then I will need to mow it.

Would a simple light-weight pull/push mower do the job OK; or maybe a
battery-powered machine?

I just want to keep the grass neat and tidy without it muddying up or
anything.

Any suggestions/recommendations on what to buy?

I think I would just leave it as bare earth.

Alan

Ed