Old 29-11-2010, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Default Ice formation

This appeared overnight in one of the bird baths. I thought at first there
might be a small bird in it, but it was just ice. To get an idea of the
size, it is the top of a Victorian Chimney Pot.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TEKWQV3...-of-Other.html

Odd? :-)

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 29-11-2010, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"'Mike'" wrote ..

This appeared overnight in one of the bird baths. I thought at first there
might be a small bird in it, but it was just ice. To get an idea of the
size, it is the top of a Victorian Chimney Pot.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TEKWQV3...-of-Other.html

Odd? :-)

Any planes fly over your place? Looks like crazing under the ice in the bowl
suggesting this other piece landed with some force.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-11-2010, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 08:38:10 -0000, Mike wrote:

This appeared overnight in one of the bird baths.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TEKWQV3...-of-Other.html

Odd? :-)

Rare but not odd. Think they need very still conditions to form. The
water forms an incomplete skin of ice but continues to freeze into
the body. As it freezes it expands and forces water out of the hole,
which then freezes. More freezing in the body pushes more water out
the hole pushing the previously frozen bit away from the hole. Looks
like that hole was getting smaller as the process carried on as shown
by the taper in the extruded ice plug.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 29-11-2010, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

In article ,
says...

This appeared overnight in one of the bird baths. I thought at first there
might be a small bird in it, but it was just ice. To get an idea of the
size, it is the top of a Victorian Chimney Pot.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-TEKWQV3...-of-Other.html

Odd? :-)

Mike

I had something similar appeared earlier on in one of the cold snaps. It
was about 4" tall, tapering opposite way to yours, and leaning over at
an angle. I think I took a piccie of it, but I've not got the camera to
hand at the moment - I'll see if I can find it at some stage.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales