Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered User

Smile What is this tree called please....

Hi people,

Just finished decorating the house for christmas and thought about decoracting this tree in my garden!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...rrod/photo.jpg

It came with the house. I have no idea what it is called, but an ideal (be it a little skinny) tree none the less for left over lights

Anybody know what the tree is called (the tall one)?
It has small cones all around it and about 3 years old I think.

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is this tree called please....

[image: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...rod/photo.jpg]

It came with the house. I have no idea what it is called, but an ideal
(be it a little skinny) tree none the less for left over lights

Anybody know what the tree is called (the tall one)?
It has small cones all around it and about 3 years old I think.

Thanks,
Chris.

A close-up of a branch would help identification. It seems a bit tall
for a 3-year old but let's assume that whoever planted it knew
something about what they were planting and didn't shove in something
that'll overwhelm the plot. To me, the foliage looks a bit too green
for the Chamaecyparis (false cypress) candidates and a bit too
irregular for the junipers (and in any event junipers don't produce
cones as such, theyre more like berries). On the basis of the photo,
I'd guess that if the cones are rounded, it could be a form of
Cupressus (true cypress); if they're more pointed it could be a form
of spruce. But that's only a guess.

I'd be worried, though, that the level of the rockery looks like it's
breaching the damp proof course of the building.

Jake
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

Hi people,

Just finished decorating the house for christmas and thought about
decoracting this tree in my garden!

[image: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...rod/photo.jpg]

It came with the house. I have no idea what it is called, but an ideal
(be it a little skinny) tree none the less for left over lights

Anybody know what the tree is called (the tall one)?
It has small cones all around it and about 3 years old I think.

Thanks,
Chris.

Possibly Juniperus communis 'Hibernica' (aka the Irish Juniper), or
Juniperus scopulorum 'Skyrocket'?

'Skyrocket' was my first thought, but junipers have "berries", rather
than the usual type of cone. I'd guess at Chamaecyparis or Cupressus. (I
doubt that I could identify it, but closeups of the foliage and cones
might assist someone else.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/12/2010 14:19, mrharrod wrote:
Hi people,

Just finished decorating the house for christmas and thought about
decoracting this tree in my garden!

[image: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...rod/photo.jpg]

It came with the house. I have no idea what it is called, but an ideal
(be it a little skinny) tree none the less for left over lights

Anybody know what the tree is called (the tall one)?
It has small cones all around it and about 3 years old I think.

Thanks,
Chris.

Hard to be sure, but it may be the Italian Cypress, Cupressus sempervirens.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London