Old 13-12-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Xmas gifts

In message , Malcolm
writes

In article , chris
French writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article ,
Janet writes
Me too, it;s not much to ask, is it?
One Christmas J gave me an engraving kit, an electric gadget which
can quite quickly engrave an aluminium plant tag that will last for
ever. It's excellent but only useful for permanent plants; not for the
multiplicity of seedtrays, cutting pots and veg rows.

Janet

The Which magazine proposed that we paint plastic labels or old
recycled plastic bottles, with black paint and then scratch the name
on with an empty brio,
Not at all sure this would work, how much paint and what kind for
example?

Most paints will stick - even kids poster paints, but these would give
thin coverage and longevity will probably not be so go with that or
emulsion.

Best would probably be an acrylic paint, heardwearing, and quick
drying, or gloss paint.

How much - well 'enough' I guess, doesn't seem very critical, and a
quick bit of experimentation would give a suitable coverage.

Did Which magazine say why we should do this? Was it in order to save
the planet??

If so, my guess would be that acrylic or hard gloss paint would cost as
much in money and materials as buying some new labels!

Presumably longer lasting labels? Cost of paint might be nothing if
someone has some left over from decorating.
--
Chris French

Old 13-12-2010, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote:

Presumably longer lasting labels? Cost of paint might be nothing if
someone has some left over from decorating.

My dad always used wooden labels and a soft black pencil. I can
still remember him each year with an old paint pot and a scrap of
cloth over his finger, giving each label a wipe of fresh paint.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 5, 9:39*am, Dave Hill wrote:
Picking up Sachas question of what to get a gardener for Xmas.
I would love to get a permanant marker that actualy was permanant.
In the US of A they used a Laundry marker but that has now been taken
off the market, and I like so many others find that the Sharpie is no
longer fade proof,
So Please Santa can I have A MARKER THAT DOESN'T FADE.

I use these at work:
http://www.staedtler.co.uk/Lumocolor...s_uk.Staedtler
the red and green fade a bit, but the purple, black, & blue seem to
last many years.

The gold or silver oil-based pens on a black label would last a long
time

There is a thing called an Eding 780, a white oil=based marker for
black backgrounds. And a whole range of oil- and chalk-based
blackboard pens used for blackboard menus & things.

Chinagraph pencils may be what you want, of course.