Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Xmas gifts

Picking up Sachas question of what to get a gardener for Xmas.
I would love to get a permanant marker that actualy was permanant.
In the US of A they used a Laundry marker but that has now been taken
off the market, and I like so many others find that the Sharpie is no
longer fade proof,
So Please Santa can I have A MARKER THAT DOESN'T FADE.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
Picking up Sachas question of what to get a gardener for Xmas.
I would love to get a permanant marker that actualy was permanant.
In the US of A they used a Laundry marker but that has now been taken
off the market, and I like so many others find that the Sharpie is no
longer fade proof,
So Please Santa can I have A MARKER THAT DOESN'T FADE.

Me too please, Santa!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/12/2010 09:39, Dave Hill wrote:
Picking up Sachas question of what to get a gardener for Xmas.
I would love to get a permanant marker that actualy was permanant.
In the US of A they used a Laundry marker but that has now been taken
off the market, and I like so many others find that the Sharpie is no
longer fade proof,
So Please Santa can I have A MARKER THAT DOESN'T FADE.

Perhaps not quite what you are after, but these may answer your question:
http://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/Black_Labels.html

--

Jeff
Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gopher
writes
So Please Santa can I have A MARKER THAT DOESN'T FADE.

Me too please, Santa!

I find 2b pencils last longer than the 'permanent' markers now.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-12-2010, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
Me too, it;s not much to ask, is it?
One Christmas J gave me an engraving kit, an electric gadget which
can quite quickly engrave an aluminium plant tag that will last for
ever. It's excellent but only useful for permanent plants; not for the
multiplicity of seedtrays, cutting pots and veg rows.

Janet

The Which magazine proposed that we paint plastic labels or old recycled
plastic bottles, with black paint and then scratch the name on with an
empty brio,
Not at all sure this would work, how much paint and what kind for
example?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
So Please Santa can I have A MARKER THAT DOESN'T FADE.

As the urban legend about the NASA pen goes ... just use a pencil. :-)
Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
One Christmas J gave me an engraving kit, an electric gadget which
can quite quickly engrave an aluminium plant tag that will last for
ever. It's excellent but only useful for permanent plants; not for the
multiplicity of seedtrays, cutting pots and veg rows.

Nick finally got fed up trying to crunch out labels with the silly dymo
label maker thing and has invested in an electric one where he can print out
a bunch of identical labels for pots as easily as doing one. I was a bit
annoyed when he got it cos it's just /yet another thing/ to go in the house,
but I have to say, it does a good job.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 5, 9:44*pm, wrote:
Janet wrote:
*One Christmas J gave me an engraving kit, an electric gadget which
can quite quickly engrave an aluminium plant tag that will last for
ever. It's excellent but *only useful for permanent plants; not for the
multiplicity of seedtrays, cutting pots and veg rows.

Nick finally got fed up trying to crunch out labels with the silly dymo
label maker thing and has invested in an electric one where he can print out
a bunch of identical labels for pots as easily as doing one. *I was a bit
annoyed when he got it cos it's just /yet another thing/ to go in the house,
but I have to say, it does a good job.

My problem is doing around 500 large field labels, pencil is to fine,
and to do them by machine is going to be expensive, I'm sure there is
an answer somewhere out there.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 02:25:12 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

My problem is doing around 500 large field labels, pencil is to fine,
and to do them by machine is going to be expensive, I'm sure there is
an answer somewhere out there.

This may be a bit time consuming but if you have access to a laser
printer (or photocopier, maybe in a copy shop) rather than inkjet
which will fade in sunlight, you could try printing or copying your
field labels onto sheets of appropriately sized laser labels. These
aren't waterproof but could be stuck on whatever and then covered with
clear waterproof tape - you should be able to get a 5cm wide by 30+m
long roll for £5-6. I've used this method to put small "signs" on the
outside of buildings and they've lasted for a couple of years so far.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
These
aren't waterproof but c

Laminated is better, Just make sure you don't cut them up to the
paper, i.e. leave a margin of clear laminate round each one to make sure
they are fully sealed.

Janet

Old 06-12-2010, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
This may be a bit time consuming but if you have access to a laser
printer (or photocopier, maybe in a copy shop) rather than inkjet
which will fade in sunlight, you could try printing or copying your
field labels onto sheets of appropriately sized laser labels. These
aren't waterproof but could be stuck on whatever and then covered with
clear waterproof tape - you should be able to get a 5cm wide by 30+m
long roll for ?5-6. I've used this method to put small "signs" on the
outside of buildings and they've lasted for a couple of years so far.

Can you get "clear waterproof tape" that doesn't dry up and fall off when in
the sun, though? Scotch tape is waterproof and clear-ish, but IME it won't
stick in a permanent fashion to a lot of surfaces, and stickier tape will
just dry up and fall off after a week or two in the sunlight.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Dec 2010 12:42:56 GMT, wrote:

Jake wrote:
This may be a bit time consuming but if you have access to a laser
printer (or photocopier, maybe in a copy shop) rather than inkjet
which will fade in sunlight, you could try printing or copying your
field labels onto sheets of appropriately sized laser labels. These
aren't waterproof but could be stuck on whatever and then covered with
clear waterproof tape - you should be able to get a 5cm wide by 30+m
long roll for ?5-6. I've used this method to put small "signs" on the
outside of buildings and they've lasted for a couple of years so far.

Can you get "clear waterproof tape" that doesn't dry up and fall off when in
the sun, though? Scotch tape is waterproof and clear-ish, but IME it won't
stick in a permanent fashion to a lot of surfaces, and stickier tape will
just dry up and fall off after a week or two in the sunlight.

I used Ever Build "Clear Weatherproof Tape" to attach some small signs
to the outside of some buildings as markers to things that were
underground. Stuck to a mix of brickwork, plastic pipework, glass and
metal. The signs are still stuck after a bit over two years. It's
really targeted at the construction industry and I've never seen it in
DIY stores but a quick web search shows (at least) the following link
as one which'll sell individual rolls:

http://www.realoakfloors.co.uk/ever_...proof_tape.php

I'd thought of using laminated labels but the cost of a laminator and
the laminating pouches would probably work out more than the Brother
labeller that I use and as Dave was conscious of the cost of a label
machine and the tape, I thought he'd probably be equally conscious of
laminating cost.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...

My problem is doing around 500 large field labels, pencil is to fine,
and to do them by machine is going to be expensive, I'm sure there is
an answer somewhere out there.

Something like this David?
http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_gr.../s_page/204400

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article ,
Janet writes
Me too, it;s not much to ask, is it?
One Christmas J gave me an engraving kit, an electric gadget which
can quite quickly engrave an aluminium plant tag that will last for
ever. It's excellent but only useful for permanent plants; not for the
multiplicity of seedtrays, cutting pots and veg rows.

Janet

The Which magazine proposed that we paint plastic labels or old
recycled plastic bottles, with black paint and then scratch the name on
with an empty brio,
Not at all sure this would work, how much paint and what kind for
example?

Most paints will stick - even kids poster paints, but these would give
thin coverage and longevity will probably not be so go with that or
emulsion.

Best would probably be an acrylic paint, heardwearing, and quick
drying, or gloss paint.

How much - well 'enough' I guess, doesn't seem very critical, and a
quick bit of experimentation would give a suitable coverage.
--
Chris French

Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Malcolm
writes
Did Which magazine say why we should do this? Was it in order to save
the planet??

No, think it was to save money and to find the method that lasts,longer
than those allegedly permanent markers.