Old 17-12-2010, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weather Friday

Bitterly cold, still but sometimes a nasty bit of wind gusts across the
gardens.

No snow

Bird baths frozen solid. ...... well they were ;-)

Outlook to stay the same.

That's the S.E. Isle of Wight.

What have you got?

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 17-12-2010, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Bitterly cold, still but sometimes a nasty bit of wind gusts across the
gardens.

No snow

Bird baths frozen solid. ...... well they were ;-)

Outlook to stay the same.

That's the S.E. Isle of Wight.

What have you got?

Mike

Should have added that the sun is trying to shine, bluish skies with some
white clouds.

Certainly cold enough to freeze the balls off a Brass Monkey

Old 17-12-2010, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:26:36 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Bitterly cold, still but sometimes a nasty bit of wind gusts across the
gardens.

No snow

Bird baths frozen solid. ...... well they were ;-)

Outlook to stay the same.

That's the S.E. Isle of Wight.

What have you got?

Mike

Central South Wales - a decent covering of snow - about 3 inches so
far and still falling - for the first time in years. The cat hasn't
seen snow before in his 3 year life and went ballistic this morning,
dashing up and down the road chasing imaginary somethings. He's been
out since 5 am and is still bouncing around like a lunatic.

Jake
Old 17-12-2010, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
Bitterly cold, still but sometimes a nasty bit of wind gusts across the
gardens.

No snow

Bird baths frozen solid. ...... well they were ;-)

Outlook to stay the same.

That's the S.E. Isle of Wight.

What have you got?

Mike

Central South Wales - a decent covering of snow - about 3 inches so
far and still falling - for the first time in years. The *cat hasn't
seen snow before in his 3 year life and went ballistic this morning,
dashing up and down the road chasing imaginary somethings. He's been
out since 5 am and is still bouncing around like a lunatic.

Jake

Here overlooking Swansea we have had what looks like 6 to 8 inches,
snow balances on every twig as there is no sign of any wind to cause
it to drop to the ground.
This is the heaviest snow I have seen at this time of year since I
came to Wales over 20 years ago, an#d only one winter has had more
snow, but with more forecast for later in the day................
Off out with the camera now.
David Hill
Old 17-12-2010, 10:39 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Here overlooking Swansea we have had what looks like 6 to 8 inches,
snow balances on every twig as there is no sign of any wind to cause
it to drop to the ground.l
W Yorkshire - no snow. No prospect of snow. We're going to be an island of green in a whole country revelling in the heaviest snowfall for years.
__________________

Old 17-12-2010, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

A very light dusting of snow here, just enough to make it pretty. *
Apparently, the roads are a bit slippy but not too bad. *A friend in
Torquay says it's much thicker there and about an hour ago was falling
quite fast. *Here, we have sunshine and some blue sky but with clouds
rolling up quickly, so we'll see what happens. *But it does look as if
more is on the way!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Well I got out and took some pics, a quick burst of sunshine then it
started to snow again, and we have now had another inch where I swept
the steps.
Here are some of the pics

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow
Old 17-12-2010, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-12-17 11:32:12 +0000, Dave Hill
said: snipped

Well I got out and took some pics, a quick burst of sunshine then
it started to snow again, and we have now had another inch where I
swept the steps.
Here are some of the pics

Same page not found message - strange!

Works fine for me (as do Dave's links in the oaks thread). Try
copying the link below and pasting into your browser address bar. If
it's spread across two lines in your newsreader, the second may not
be registering and that would generate the "not found" message

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...flowers/winter
%202010%20Snow/?albumview=slideshow

Thanks

so much! That worked perfectly. I copied and pasted all of Dave's
links because of the linewrap, so I don't know why it didn't work but
yours did. Beautiful photos, Dave. I love the bamboo looking very
exotic with its snow coat but the lanes and trees look magical. Thanks
for sharing those. I'm just about to ring my Chepstow child to find
out what it's like there.

If it makes any differance too you, you can also copy to a folder address
bar, rather than open the web browser.
Saves a bit of time when you are doing this within a foder etc:

Baz
Old 17-12-2010, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

snipped

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...0flowers/winte...

Thanks

so much! *That worked perfectly. *I copied and pasted all of Dave's
links because of the linewrap, so I don't know why it didn't work but
yours did. * Beautiful photos, Dave. *I love the bamboo looking very
exotic with its snow coat but the lanes and trees look magical. Thanks
for sharing those. * I'm just about to ring my Chepstow child to find
out what it's like there.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

One or two people have been out on the road but not enough to spoil
it.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=Roadeast.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=Roadwest.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...owbamboo03.jpg
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nowBirds03.jpg

The sun is out now and no more snow due, we ended with 9 inches.
Old 17-12-2010, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 03:32:12 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

Well I got out and took some pics, a quick burst of sunshine then it
started to snow again, and we have now had another inch where I swept
the steps.
Here are some of the pics

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow

Not as scenic as yours, Dave, but showing the difference a couple of
hours can make. At the moment, the sky is clear, the odd flurry is
coming down but nothing major.

http://www.rivendell.org.uk/page10.html

Jake
Old 17-12-2010, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well I got out and took some pics, a quick burst of sunshine then it
started to snow again, and we have now had another inch where I swept
the steps.
Here are some of the pics

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...view=slideshow

Hi Dave, here in Glais I mnaged a few pics but didn't get that burst of
sunshine you had. Lovely snow pictures BTW

Bill

Old 18-12-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Bitterly cold, still but sometimes a nasty bit of wind gusts across the
gardens.

No snow

Bird baths frozen solid. ...... well they were ;-)

Outlook to stay the same.

That's the S.E. Isle of Wight.

What have you got?

Mike

Central South Wales - a decent covering of snow - about 3 inches so
far and still falling - for the first time in years. The cat hasn't
seen snow before in his 3 year life and went ballistic this morning,
dashing up and down the road chasing imaginary somethings. He's been
out since 5 am and is still bouncing around like a lunatic.

I love it to see cats go out into their first experience in the snow, they
run out, then stop because of the wet, shake one paw, then another and so
on, and they cannot see any of their favorite things, I could watch them for
hours.

Alan

Jake

Old 18-12-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Jake- Hide quoted text -

It's realy rough on cats as they normaly are going around updating
their mental map of their area and suddenly their map has been wiped
clean, no landmarks or anything else they know.
Old 18-12-2010, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

This one didn't stop at all, apart from sitting just inside the door
wondering what to do for a minute or two. Then suddenly he bounced out
and went charging across the front lawn, next door's lawn, the road,
everyone's lawn. Jumping, rolling in it, chasing something I couldn't
see. He's been out all day, just coming in for food and then back out
again. Since he moved in he's been inquisitive. Has to explore
anything new before going back to what's becoming his normal routine.
We have to be careful if there's a delivery lorry in the street. He
made it a few miles up the road before being discovered once.

The field next door looks fairly "virginal" snow wise apart from his
tracks - you can see paw marks with a large depression in between
where he dragged his stomach through the snow.

Mind you, haven't seen another cat all day! The rest must have more
sense and be staying indoors in the warm.

At least he should sleep well (and so should we!) tonight! That's if
he comes in at all of course!

RHS free Friday mogga United Kingdom 2 05-10-2012 05:52 PM
SF Aquarium Society Mega-Auction is Friday March 7 Erik Leung Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
San Francisco AquaPlant Study Group: Friday, April 4 Erik Leung Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 03-04-2003 10:08 PM
stargrass / money wart clippings Available - Need to ship on Friday DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 28-03-2003 05:32 AM
SF Aquarium Society Mega-Auction is Friday March 7 Erik Leung Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-03-2003 06:17 PM