Old 17-12-2010, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Redwings.

Large flocks (several hundreds) of redwings in our orchards today
feeding on frozen windfall apples. Amazing racket!
Old 17-12-2010, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:08:42 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Large flocks (several hundreds) of redwings in our orchards today
feeding on frozen windfall apples. Amazing racket!

In my next-door-neighbour's front garden is a pyracantha smothered in
berries. In the snow at the beginning of the year a flock of redwings
arrived, stripped all the berries and were gone. I'm waiting to see
if the same thing happens now. It was an amazing sight.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-12-2010, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Large flocks (several hundreds) of redwings in our orchards today
feeding on frozen windfall apples. Amazing racket!

In my next-door-neighbour's front garden is a pyracantha smothered in
berries. In the snow at the beginning of the year a flock of redwings
arrived, stripped all the berries and were gone. I'm waiting to see
if the same thing happens now. It was an amazing sight.

Pam in Bristol

The flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares from N. Europe are one of winter's
great delights.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 18-12-2010, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

The flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares from N. Europe are one of winter's
great delights.

I'm really bad at bird id but what else do these like to eat, apart from
apples? I don't think we've ever seen them here. Thrushes of any kind
seem scarce, unortunately.
--

In the case of Fieldfares, it is the hawthorn berries that they are after.
We have a particular canalside untrimmed hedge they visit annually.

regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 18-12-2010, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 Pete wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

The flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares from N. Europe are one of
winter's great delights.

I'm really bad at bird id but what else do these like to eat, apart
from apples? I don't think we've ever seen them here. Thrushes of
any kind seem scarce, unortunately.
--

In the case of Fieldfares, it is the hawthorn berries that they are after.
We have a particular canalside untrimmed hedge they visit annually.
Watching them is a delight indeed !

Our fieldfares go for vibernum berries - but we haven't seen them yet
this winter!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 18-12-2010, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 18, 3:08*am, David Rance

Old 18-12-2010, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
Large flocks (several hundreds) of redwings in our orchards today
feeding on frozen windfall apples. Amazing racket!

No chance of Redwings in my garden since the Waxwings ate all the berries
three weeks ago tries unsuccessfully to wipe smug smirk off face
8-}
R.

Old 18-12-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

We had a few flights of 30 or so birds going past yesterday, don't
know if they were Redwings or Fieldfares, but I would go for the
latter.
Birds going mad on the feeders yesterday, but I think the sparrows
have moved across the road to my neighbour.
David Hill

A couple of days ago I spotted a large group of what I thought were
Fieldfares. They looked "silvery" as the took off. Can't be sure if they
were Fieldfares as I was a bit far away.

Bill

Old 18-12-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote in message

"harry" wrote in message
Large flocks (several hundreds) of redwings in our orchards today
feeding on frozen windfall apples. Amazing racket!

No chance of Redwings in my garden since the Waxwings ate all the berries
three weeks ago tries unsuccessfully to wipe smug smirk off face
8-}
R.

Waxwings have been seen in Swansea City Centre. It appears they're
attracted to the Rowans that have been planted as street ornamental plants.

Bill

Old 18-12-2010, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey"wrote in message

We had a few flights of 30 or so birds going past yesterday, don't
know if they were Redwings or Fieldfares, but I would go for the
latter.
Birds going mad on the feeders yesterday, but I think the sparrows
have moved across the road to my neighbour.
David Hill

A couple of days ago I spotted a large group of what I thought were
Fieldfares. They looked "silvery" as the took off. Can't be sure if they
were Fieldfares as I was a bit far away.

Bill

Sounds like it - their tummies reflect the light distinctively.
Plenty round here still - they hide in he hedges and make a sort of tutting
noise
that gives their position away !

Pete

Old 18-12-2010, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Waxwings have been seen in Swansea City Centre. It appears they're
attracted to the Rowans that have been planted as street ornamental
plants.

Bill

I don't think we ever get either round here. ;-(

--

Some of our Fieldfares certainly took a fancy to one of our mallus trees
just after my last post !

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/...b6d4c8aa_b.jpg

Regards
Pete