Old 19-12-2010, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where is everyone?

David Rance wrote:

Stephen from Hull: thanks for the info about Demon and Virgin (who both
use Highwinds). I have seen complaints about them for the last two or
three weeks (first no messages and then thousands of them!) but it's the
first time it has affected me - and it's still obviously not right.

I've just registered with news.eternal-september.org, and they
seem to be working rather better.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 Chris J Dixon wrote:

Stephen from Hull: thanks for the info about Demon and Virgin (who both
use Highwinds). I have seen complaints about them for the last two or
three weeks (first no messages and then thousands of them!) but it's the
first time it has affected me - and it's still obviously not right.

I've just registered with news.eternal-september.org, and they
seem to be working rather better.

Hey! I got this one! But not much else. Just Hedgehog update from
Aquachimp.

Yes, I was thinking about eternal-september; in fact I looked at their
site a few months ago. If things don't improve I might give it a go.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 19-12-2010, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://rance.org.uk

Something odd going on here! Iwith btinternet.com and haven't seen
anything from Bob Holden.

Jake and Mike have several mesages.

Bill

Further to the above, I think I assumed the responses from Bob were to this
thread, and there has been none received here.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bill

Old 19-12-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
There's no Morrisons near us. Wouldn't use them anyway.

[snip]

Waitrose 13 miles but I have to drive past Morrison's to get there.

or

the local village with 2 butchers (1 also sells veg), 2 bakers, a tiny
co-op and an independent grocer with a deli counter.

Morrison's have got their act together. When they first took over our local
branch of Safeway, they cleared the shelves of the propriety named brands
and put their own on. People were looking and asking for their usual goods
and were told 'We don't stock that now'. Gangways were blocked with people
talking to each other complaining and leaving their trolleys there and
announcing that this place is now rubbish and 'I am off to Tescos'

It didn't take long for Morrison's to put the popular stuff back on the
shelves :-)

I understand there is a meeting on January 5th about extending the store it
is now so popular :-)

Mike

That sounds just like the Morissons in West Kirby.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Old 19-12-2010, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message
.. .
[...]

:-))

No Morrison's here on the Isle of Wight :-))

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 19-12-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message
. ..
[...]

I would add, that one of the staff we got to know very well and she said 'I
shop at Tesco's'

;-)

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 20-12-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

It didn't take long for Morrison's to put the popular stuff
back on the shelves :-)

I understand there is a meeting on January 5th about extending
the store it is now so popular :-)

Mike

That sounds just like the Morissons in West Kirby.

Stephen.

No Morrison's here on the Isle of Wight :-))

Mike

Ahh I see, It could be because they've made that much money lately
they're extending many of their stores. ;-)

Stephen

Old 21-12-2010, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
David Rance wrote:

I've just looked at this thread on Google groups and discover that there
are sixteen replies, but after about the third reply it seems to go off
on a completely different thread about Morrisons with no logical reason!

Stephen from Hull: thanks for the info about Demon and Virgin (who both
use Highwinds). I have seen complaints about them for the last two or
three weeks (first no messages and then thousands of them!) but it's the
first time it has affected me - and it's still obviously not right.

David

I am not from Hull, I am Hull ;-)

Demon/Virgin haven't fixed the problem, you would be better off
changing to another news server like news.invididual.net of one of
the free news servers like eternal-september.org or aioe.org.

Stephen.

Old 21-12-2010, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 Stephen Hull wrote:

Stephen from Hull: thanks for the info about Demon and Virgin (who both
use Highwinds). I have seen complaints about them for the last two or
three weeks (first no messages and then thousands of them!) but it's the
first time it has affected me - and it's still obviously not right.

I am not from Hull, I am Hull ;-)

Oops!

Demon/Virgin haven't fixed the problem, you would be better off
changing to another news server like news.invididual.net of one of
the free news servers like eternal-september.org or aioe.org.

News appears to be flowing again. I suspect that Highwinds has grown too
big for itself. That's the trouble with business. It has to keep
expanding, swallowing up competitors, until it reaches a critical mass
and then implodes!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 21-12-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
[...]

Demon? :-((

I had problems with them years ago and they had to apologise to me :-))

'Some' people on here will remember the fight I had ............. and that I
won because of the incorrect accusations :-))

Funny, the person who caused the problems is no longer around ;-) Still
frequenting Gent's Toilets maybe ?

Old 22-12-2010, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
Hello,

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

David

There has been an issue on Highwinds news servers and they supply the
feeds to Demon and many others notably virgin.
If you are on demon you will find more discussion in demon.service -
that is if you are receiving the items :-(
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 23-12-2010, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 hugh wrote:

Haven't received any messages on urg today, nor on some other, but not
all, newgroups. Is this just Demon or is it more widespread?

There has been an issue on Highwinds news servers and they supply the
feeds to Demon and many others notably virgin.
If you are on demon you will find more discussion in demon.service -
that is if you are receiving the items :-(

Things seem to be back to normal now - whatever "normal" is!

David

http://rance.org.uk